A Chilly Morning For A Fine Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donegotfat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
30°F outside and the smoker is putting off that beautiful TBS

Prepped a trimmed brisket flat that I picked up from the local store. Did the prep work 2 days ago and let it sit and marinate in the fridge for the last few days.

The brisket was trimmed really well, I would have loved to get a full packer, but they ran out, and after all it is just the wife and I.

Mixed up some beef base, and a bit of rub, ended up with about a cup of broth. I injected it well, then applied a store bought rub. It is basically SPOG, but has a bit of other items in it that sounded great.

Took it out of the fridge at 0-dark hundred this AM, and went out to get the smoker up to temp.

That Minor's is so good, it makes you want to just lick the spoon

Injected, rubbed,  and off to the fridge.

Got her unwrapped, sprinkled on a bit more SPOG, and ready for the smoker.

Thanks for posting this in your brisket thread SmokinAl.

This thread can be seen here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/250864/first-brisket-burnt-ends-on-the-lang

I used the idea, made a mod to the smoker and mounted a small baking tray to the 1/4 top shelf. Its a small shelf, and took some doing, but I managed to secure it safely and then was able to use it to hold the fat over the brisket so it will render down onto the meat while cooking

Its 5AM, and set up for a day of smoke, and a few beers
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

cheers.gif

Ill check in later with more pictures, thanks for looking.

I had the same silly idea sitting out here smoking a brisket while it's snowing
Luckily no snow today, but it would not have surprised me if it had.

Its colder now than when it went in. Dropped to 28° and its already 8AM. Only supposed to get to 49° today, but I tossed the welding blanket on the smoker to help keep a better temp.

Looks good already

Richie
Thanks

With that weather report, sounds like you're somewhere in the Midwest just like me, smoking out a bit west of Chicago.

Here's mine... Hope yours goes well, too!

That looks great!

Yeah, close enough it seems, I am in St. Robert, Missouri, about 2 hours south west of St. Louis

Dang brisket is having the stall of all time for me, been almost 3 hours at 151°. Set the heat a bit higher and will give it a bit longer.

If it doesn't make it up soon, Ill have to wrap it early so that i can still make it for dinner.

Last edited:
That looks great!
Yeah, close enough it seems, I am in St. Robert, Missouri, about 2 hours south west of St. Louis
Dang brisket is having the stall of all time for me, been almost 3 hours at 151°. Set the heat a bit higher and will give it a bit longer.
If it doesn't make it up soon, Ill have to wrap it early so that i can still make it for dinner.
Mine never stalled it's in the cooler resting already I was surprised it got done so quick

It looks like a good start!

Stay warm!

Al
It finally warmed up to a sun baking 45°.. But then again I have always loved the cold.
Mine never stalled it's in the cooler resting already I was surprised it got done so quick
Heck, I wish. I just got mine off and in a pan and foiled and back on smoker. It will probably only be a 1-2 hour rest in the end

After almost a 3hr stall, I bumped the temp up by 25° and it started to climb again. I wasn't to worried about the stall, other than trying to make it ready for dinner.

I figured the longer it cooked and a low and slow temp, the more the fat would render and the better the connective tissue would break down.

Almost 7 hours later, she finally hit IT of 160°.

Longer than I guessed it would have taken, but it was a nice thick flat.

Tossed it into a pan, added about 1/2 cup of beef base to pan and foiled.

Its now back on the smoker for a few more hours. Once it hits 200-205 depending on probe tender, Ill put it and let it rest in a cooler until its dinner time.

Last edited:
Very nice! 6 hours in for me and it just hit 159... Smoky Mtn is keeping 240 pretty solid, but I did have to add a bit more charcoal just now that should last it until the end.
Mine held pretty well for temp, I did toss on my welding blanket to help reduce the heat loss and use fewer pellets.
Looking good.
icon14.gif
Thanks.

Total cook time was just shy of 10 hours with almost a 3 hour stall.

Starting smoker temp was set at 210, bumped to 225 at 7hr mark to help with the stall, bumped again to 250 at 8.5 hours in to help get to final IT so that it could rest a bit before planned dinner time.

Final IT was at 207° before it was like butter with a toothpick, I started checking at 195° IT.

I have it wrapped with a new sheet of foil, topped with a blanket, then a pillow over that to fill the empty space in the cooler (ice/beer chest).

It will rest for about 1.5 hours in the cooler. Ill get some good pics of it when I cut into it.

Can't wait to see it!
I am barely holding off the urge to snag a sample...My Wife keeps giving me the "look" anytime she hears me near the cooler.
Looks like a great dinner coming up!
Thanks, just cut up some potatoes, and getting ready to fry some up.

Took 1/4 C of BBQ sauce, and 1/2 C of the de-fatted Au Jus and mixed them up for a nice glaze to add on both.

Surely you cut a little piece off the end? :biggrin:
You've made my mind up. I bought a little 14# packer today thinking I would just cut the flat off for Corned Beef and freeze the point for later. Now I have to "man up" and smoke that point tomorrow.
It's supposed to be 40 something for a high and there'll be frost when I put it in.
I'll probably go through a lot of wood...

:yahoo:

Surely you cut a little piece off the end?
biggrin.gif

You've made my mind up. I bought a little 14# packer today thinking I would just cut the flat off for Corned Beef and freeze the point for later. Now I have to "man up" and smoke that point tomorrow.
It's supposed to be 40 something for a high and there'll be frost when I put it in.
I'll probably go through a lot of wood...

yahoo.gif
I was a good man, or strong man.. I didn't even cut a little piece from the end

Glad to hear its setting your mind to smoke one. Sounds like great weather for a smoke
icon14.gif

And let there be light!

Boy o  boy! This was my second try on a brisket. My first try on brisket was my first smoke ever, so it went well, but it gave me a lot of things to consider for future smokes.

With those things in mind, and having billions of topics here to read and absorb, i must say this one was light years ahead of my first.

It didn't need any Au Jus, but I still added some. Heck it took me a few minutes just to stop licking my fingers after the first few slices to get a picture
drool.gif

I remembered to give it a nice cut on the corner so that I knew what way to cut it in the end, glad I did as once smoked it was helpful.

Here it is out of the foil from a 1.5 hr rest.

I was happy with the smoke ring, I used hickory, and filled the A-MAZE-N-PELLET Tube smoker almost to the top. Gave me a bit over 5 hours of smoke.

It was super tender, juicy as all get out, and seemed perfect to me. (now I have a harder bar to meet in the future)

It had a great bend, and wasn't over cooked IMO.

The slices got a bit thick towards the end, as i was running out of room to hold on to it

Got some vacuum packed and saved for another night. I am diggin the new vacmaster

The MONEY shot!

One of these days Ill put some vegetables on my plate.

Thanks for looking
439.gif

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky