90 gallon RF with insulated FB and warmer - good plan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Freshham

Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
Hey, I am in the process of building a smoker and would like to run my numbers by you guys for plan confirmation. In general I am planning a RF offset cooker with an insulated firebox and an insulated warmer (on top of the box with vents to the warmer from the cc and the fb. Basically the same as a Shirley type design)

Smoker Body: 120 gallon propane tank. End cut off and tank shortened slightly to give a CC volume of 90.5 gallons (20898.6 in^3)

Firebox: cube firebox insulated. Planning 3/8” steel and inside dimensions of 20” x 20” x 24” long. Volume is 9600 in^3 and is high according to the tutorial and Feldons. My thought is to build it large so that it has capacity for both the cc and warmer… I could "reduce the volume" by raising the cooking grate or adding bricks. ?

FB/CC opening: Since my FB is 20” wide on the inside, I plan on a half moon with a top chord of 20” and a rectangle on top. The chord area will be 73 and the 1.5x20” rectangle will be 30. So the total opening area is 103 in^2. The tutorial suggests cc volume x 0.004 = 83.6 in^2 but it sounds like there is another factor of up to 1.5 that may be used…

RF plate: To simplify cutting, my RF plate will be 22” wide giving a chord area of 114.24 in^2. Other options = 21.5” wide for area of 106.4 in^2 or 21” with an area of 95.5 in^3. Note that my FB opening if I keep the 103in^2 plan will have the top of the hole 6.75 in above the bottom of the chamber. Is there an advantage to have a step in height between the top of the FB hole and the RF baffle plate? The 22” wide plate gives a height of 7.5 so there will be a 0.75 in step, the 21.5” gives a continuous height.

End of firebox will maintain the area under the plate

Now for the warmer, should I maintain the FB/CC area for the CC to Warmer passthrough?

Currently I am planning for a warmer that would have a similar volume to the CC (18000 in^3) I would like this to be able to maintain the same temp as the cc, should I leave the top of my fb uninsulated? If I plan to have cooking that will sometimes ONLY use the warmer, should the vent from the FB to warmer be the same as FB to CC? Remember that the warmer will be insulated except the wall between the cc and fb

Feldon's has some problems... The member here solved those problems over a couple years of smoker building... I highly recommend using the tutorial below to build your smoker... Any modifications you make may have some effects on the operation and affect the quality... I generally don't comment on changes folks want to make.. The tutorial makes a very high quality smoker...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...eady-to-use-rev5-6-19-15.172425/#post_1264161

Thank you Dave.

I was confused in thinking that the 50% enlargement of the openings was not taken into account in the x0.004 calculations. Got it now. I will also reduce my firebox to the recommended volume.

What is your thought on the additional vertical chamber?
-It sounds like I should ignore it as part of the calculations for FB size. I am good with that.
-If I want to exhaust through the vertical chamber how would I size the passthrough vent? Will this simply screw up my airflow?

Ignore the vertical chamber in the calculation... AND... I would not have inlet and exhaust in that chamber... I would test the temp of the chamber when the smoker was running, and if it got too warm, then I would and a fresh air supply with an exhaust port of sorts... Warming chambers should run 140-160 F... so as to not dry out any meats.. You should be able to achieve that temp due to the FB running at 300-350 F...
The upper air inlet, on the FB, will help you control the heat in the CC and move FB heated air throughout the CC for even temps....

Dave, thank you. I agree for an exclusive warming chamber, additional inlets would not be needed. To make matters trickier, I would like to use the upper chamber as an additional cooking chamber option. For this, I desire both heat and smoke path.

Do these additional smoke paths create giant issues in the airflow/draft? I think I am more interested in the adjustable fb to upper chamber vent. it seems to me that this would just split the smoke path to each of the chambers and each could be treated / exhausted independently

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky