90/10 ground sirloin not edible

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
My HEB substituted 2 lbs (8 large patties) for one lb of 80/20 ground chuck on my last order.
I was making tacos but when crumbled up and cooked in the fry pan with taco seasoning the meat was almost too tough to chew.
I was paying around $6 for the 1 lb of 80/20 and their substitue offering was priced at around $18 for two packs.
I hate to waste meat or any food for that matter and tossing $20 into the recycle is bothering me but what the heck to do to it and have it come out in a edible form?

Last edited:
I won't buy it for that very reason. I did once and it took me half a pitcher of iced tea to get that dang burger down.
Shee Beast got some not too long ago. Tried it in spaghetti, not as bad.
Suggestion: don't brown it to fully cooked and use it in sauce dishes i.e. chilli, spaghetti ect.

I think it's destined for the recycle can, I would hate to waste an entire pot of chili.
Heck I got some undercooked brisket in the freezer destined for the crock pot and I know that will be good eating.

I've gotten patties back from a few of the processors that were tough like that. The steaks were fork tender, but you really had to put some effort into eating the burgers. The loose stuff was fine for chili and meatloaf (I generally make meat loaves half beef, half sausage) and stuff like that, but there just wasn't enough fat in it.

Could you work some fat into it for burger patties? Some pork fat or even EVOO worked in might help.

Not sure if you've cooked it all or not either but get some 70 / 30 and blend the two. You definitely need some fat in with it. Or as mentioned blend it with sausage for meat loaf or fatties.

Ryan

I used one lb for "taco meat", which was broken up into smallish bits and browned with a seasoning packet and water added after browning.
The crumbles of meat were tough as leather.
It's out at the curb now waiting for the recycle truck.
We don't buy sirloin steaks these days but I thought I remember them being at least edible if not as tender as say NY strip.

Sorry to hear you tossed it already. Another option would have been to pop it into your food processor for a few clicks and mix it in with your meatloaf mix or spaghetti gravy.

Chris

I'd also try turning it into GB soup or cottage pie. For that matter almost anything resembling a GB casserole with a fair amount of gravy/sauce in the mix.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky