9 butts and a Grad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
My oldest just graduated high school tonight. As soon as he got back home we put 9 butts on the big rf and started feeding it. It's currently 12:07 where I am so I will be sure to post up the pics. Most of them will be finished shots as we did all this in the dark.

8:01 am - 2 butts down, pulled these two at 205 it and both were jiggly. They are resting in a cold oven for 1 hr. 1 more is sitting at 201 so it will come odd at the next refuel.
Temps got a bit high last night when adding splits but stayed in the 250-275 range most of the time. The occasional 300 spike went away fast.

8:51 am - 6 down, 3 stragglers left. Sitting at a grate temp of 235

9:24 am - 8 down, 1straggler. Grate temp 280 after small refuel.

10:15 - all done, in the cooler to rest. Will pull @1:30 pm

It all turned out good, I introduced some MSG to the finished product. It added some depth and will probably use it again. Everyone ate well and we have some left to freeze.

The Grad, my buddy
DSC_0236.jpg

Us:
Resized_20220527_210626.jpeg

Some Que Vue:
20220528_092030.jpg

20220528_124207.jpg

20220528_092022.jpg

20220528_123058.jpg

20220528_082850.jpg

Last edited:
Watch it closely. R RevSmoke just did the same thing with 7 butts and well into the cook had a little grease fire from all the drippings. This was even after he wrapped them. I’ll let him tell the story when he sees this.
Will do. We use drip pans under everything and the rf plate runs most of the way to the end. In our case the chance is small but there. I did have a small one once where the pans weren't positioned right. Luckily no harm was done. I've watched it closely since then.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Ringer Ringer I’m doing about 40lbs of pork in a few weeks for my cousin (friend) daughters grad party. It’s a ton of work but very well worth it.
Absolutely it is! I love doing these type of cooks. My little buddy is helping on this one and it may be his last one for a while. He reports to his internship on Sunday then in August he is off to Mississippi state university. I'm taking my time on this one and keeping temps lower just to spend a few more hours with him.

I hope your cook goes well and be sure to put up a thread and let us follow along.

Awesome congratulations to your son and you for raising him and getting him through school. Has he figured out his major yet?

Reactions: Ringer
Well, we just got back from taking him to a new city and leaving him. Everyone tells you to raise your kids right and we did that. No one tells you how hard it is to say goodbye. No one mentioned how long, lonely and empty the car ride home feels. I know it's temporary but it doesn't change how right now feels. Thanks for listening to my pity party...

Well, we just got back from taking him to a new city and leaving him. Everyone tells you to raise your kids right and we did that. No one tells you how hard it is to say goodbye. No one mentioned how long, lonely and empty the car ride home feels. I know it's temporary but it doesn't change how right now feels. Thanks for listening to my pity party...
More power to you! My son isnt even 3 and im dreading that day. Hopefully you get to see him often enough to remember how much of a pain he can be too! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
A beautiful dinner for a beautiful family. I liked hearing how you worked it together.

Yea, we helped our kids to develop confidence. Then they had the confidence to leave home for California and The Netherlands. That car ride home from the airport is a hard one for sure.

Reactions: bauchjw and Ringer
You work hard to raise them right, good thing it Is temporary. It will be lonely for a while, but he has to have the opportunity to grow.

Congratulations to him, you and your family.

More power to you! My son isnt even 3 and im dreading that day. Hopefully you get to see him often enough to remember how much of a pain he can be too! 🤣
Enjoy every moment, go easy on him, and it really does go by faster than you think it will. Enjoy your time together most of all.

Reactions: bigfurmn
A beautiful dinner for a beautiful family. I liked hearing how you worked it together.

Yea, we helped our kids to develop confidence. Then they had the confidence to leave home for California and The Netherlands. That car ride home from the airport is a hard one for sure.
Thanks for the kind words. It sure was fun and I'm glad to see him getting interested in it. Lots more to come.

You work hard to raise them right, good thing it Is temporary. It will be lonely for a while, but he has to have the opportunity to grow.

Congratulations to him, you and your family.
Thank you, yes I sure am glad it's just temporary. I ignored it with celebration while I could. Got 2 more to go, this one turned out well. Couldn't be more proud.

Wow! Congrats on raising a fine young man and a great celebration cook! No pity party, just real emotions that are understandable. A child is a piece of your soul walking around separate from you. All we can do our best to prepare them and it seems like you have😎 Stay cool and enjoy the pride!

Wow! Congrats on raising a fine young man and a great celebration cook! No pity party, just real emotions that are understandable. A child is a piece of your soul walking around separate from you. All we can do our best to prepare them and it seems like you have😎 Stay cool and enjoy the pride!
Thanks Jed, we'll said my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky