9.5 lbs. Bone in Leg-O-Lamb.....MES 30 inch.......Easter 2012

Discussion in 'Lamb' started by corey in pa, Apr 9, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

this was my first attempt at a Bone in leg of lamb.  I got a nice cut from our local Wegmans.  I stuffed it will cloves of garlic and hit it with a nice Garlic, Olive Oil, dry rosemary and rock salt mix.  I poured a little red wine (Malbec) in bottom of pan topped with a bit of fresh rosemary, tied it up and put it in the refrigerator overnight......

Next day I took out the lamb and it had taken the rub nicely and also had a nice red tint to it from the wine.  I put in on my MES at 230 with apple wood chips at 10am.  I also put a pan of beef broth, sliced sweet onion, more wine, more garlic and more fresh rosemary.  I placed this pan on the rack beneath the lamb leg to catch the drippings..  I then headed to the in-laws for a quick breakfast.

At around noon when we got back the smell out back was something of pure beauty!!!!!

I took a look at it and added some more smoke.  We were at about 120 internal at this point. 

At around 3pm I took another look and we were at 140 so I threw on a crab pretzel and a lobster pretzel to pick at when I took the lamb off once it hit 145.  I actually let it go until 148 for the family since medium was the choice and not rare to medium rare how I would want it but you can't always get your way.  I then double foiled it and put it aside to rest.

I then strained the drippings from the pan and put the juice aside.  In a wok pan, I sauteed sliced mushrooms, garlic, oil and butter until the mushroom started to soften.  I then added more red wine and the drippings plus a flour mix to thicken.

What I got was a beautiful red wine mushroom gravy to serve along side of the smoke leg.  It went really well.  I refused to let anyone put the gravy over the lamb to take away from the meat but everyone did love the gravy.  My kitchen, my rules....[​IMG]

This is also my first post so I'm hoping my pictures come though as well.....

It was a treat and will be done again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Smoked lamb is one of my favorite things. Great job!

3. frizzlefry

frizzlefry Smoke Blower

Looks great!  I haven't had mutton in years.

4. Looks awesome.  Well done and thanks for sharing the pics.

5. smokinrick

smokinrick Newbie

Looks good. A shame they made you kill it to medium well. My family would have killed me if it was past 130. Good job.