80's &90's fridge freezer on top

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jason wilson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
LUSK, WYOMING
i have a question Ive been looking around at the fridge and freezer builds but i haven't seen any fridge freezers from the later models fridge on bottom freezer on top from say 80's & 90's why is that i have a Friend that has a junk yard and there are all kinds of fridges like them out there thought i might get one and try to do this he also gave me a new 2 burner Coleman propane stove so i thought i would use it for heat he thought i could use it for the 1 i just finished but its way to hot so i thought build a big one from a fridge but i don't see any for a later model on here why

Most people don't bother with newer fridges (post 60's) because of the amount of plastic in them, and the fact that most have blown in polyurethane insulation that can be very difficult to remove. After you get rid of those two things in modern fridges, there really isn't much left to work with.

However with the older fridges, the insides are made of metal (mostly), and the insulation can be fiberglass or cardboard, both of which are relatively easy to remove and replace.

Last edited:
Reactions: jason wilson
but they can be used though right he might have an older one i just seen him running a newer one out to his scrap yard they just lay around out there he has a newer stile lay down freezer out there to i just didn't want to drive all the way out if i could use the one he has 2 house down from me but i might go ahead and run out anyways now what would be a good one to look for style and age and manufacturer ant clue as to what i could look for?

Jason,

Take a look at some of the other fridge/freezer builds in this catagory, and you will start to see a pattern in the type of unit people use.

In general, you want units that are mostly steel inside and out, not plastic. They started going to plastics in the mid to late 60's, so you want a fridge that's older than that.

so just got to work and there is a freezer sitting in the parking lot boss said if it doesn't work then we need to find out were to dispose of it i looked in it and its all steel its a lay down freezer the guys have been working on it and said they don't think its Worth putting any money into it to get it working i told them if it doesn't work load it in my truck if it is truly steel i shouldn't have much to do to it to convert right ????

Depends on what you want it for. For cold smoking, you're probably good to go. For hot, you need to open it up and see what kind of insulation is in it. Fiberglass or Roxul = Good. Polyurethane = Bad. Not saying it can't be done, but if poly, then you need to see how difficult it would be to remove and decide how much work you're willing to put into it.

OK i put pix of it on my page including the plate on the back hoping i could find year and stuff but its not on there I'm going to try looking up the model # see what kind of info i can get from that . as far as work willing to do as much as needed just need to know proper ways to go about it will keep informed don't know if i get it yet or not maybe find out next week hopefully sooner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky