80/20 hamburger

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by mrbeef, Sep 7, 2015.

1. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

I seen some 80/20 hamburger on sell and wondered if anyone made beef ring bologna or beef sticks out of it or would you want to add pork?

2. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've used it for sticks and summer sausage with good results.

3. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I do all my summer sausage and snack sticks with it with great results also. If you go with a leaner beef per say 90/10 I would add some pork but 80/20 is good stuff!! 

[​IMG]

A full smoker is a happy smoker!!

DS 

4. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

80/20 is great for sausage if you want to go all beef.  If chucks are on sale I go with chuck roasts.  Reinhard

5. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

I bought 10 lbs of 80/20 today, will I need to grind more or just mix in the seasoning? Also should I use powdered milk? Do you normally use that ingredient? Thanks for all the replys.

6. driedstick

Most all my s/s sausages and snack sticks I put in NFDM, 

I bought 10 lbs of 80/20 today, will I need to grind more or just mix in the seasoning -  need to see recipe, what does it call for????

Good luck and let us know. 

DS

7. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

I was gonna try curleys ring bologna

8. ndwildbill

ndwildbill Smoke Blower

I use 80/20 for both jerky and beef sticks...works well for both.

9. driedstick

10. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

Yep, it's that one. I will let everyone know. To bad he cant ship it till the 14th! Thanks for the help.

11. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

this is my first time stuffing ring bologna or sausage for that matter so I apologize I only have this one picture. They are sitting in the fridge over night now but was wondering how long I can keep them in the fridge, just found out I gotta work in the morning. Also I found a couple air pockets, can I poke collagen casings like you can natural? I will make sure to take more pictures when there done. Thanks.

12. reinhard

Sorry for the late reply but I would have said it's ok if you had to go to work.  Sure you can poke a needle in the casing where the pocket is.  Nice work on the rings!!! Reinhard.

13. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

between being eager, canning tomato juice and drinkin ice cold coors light perhaps I put to many rings in the smoker!!!

14. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

these taste great but have alot of liquid in the casings. I did a water bath as instructed or maybe it has to do with the non high temp cheese.

15. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What temp did you take them too?

16. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

17. doctord1955

doctord1955 Smoking Fanatic

ive used regular cheese for years and have no problem!  How high was temp in ur smoker?

18. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

It was ar 170 when I pulled them out at it of 155. That's why I wanted to use regular cheese. Unless water got in the casings during the water bath? I'm not sure what I did wrong. I followed curleys recipe card.

19. reinhard

Mr. Beef, did you add powdered milk in the mix?  for 10 pounds you should use 2 cups of powdered milk along with 3 cups of cold water with 80/20 ground beef.  Reinhard

20. mrbeef

mrbeef Smoke Blower

No I didn't. I thought about after reading alot on here but since this was my first time I figured I better follow the recipe card that was given to me for the 10lbs. Do you normally always add it?