60 Gallon Air Tank Reverse Flow Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking good, can't wait to see it all come together and TBS coming out

Gary

Installed the vents into the FB and worked our a solution for the latch, turned out as good as I could have expected it to.  Spent a lot of time scratching my head...

I am so glad I have not attached the FB to CC, otherwise it would have created all kinds of access issues..  So for those of you considering building a reverse flow smoker, compete everything you can before joining the two.

Oh darn...... I wish I would have thought of this sooner..... It's been my experience.... the nuts on the air adjusters, I cut them with a saws all.... along the bolt axis.... allows them to open and close with expansion..... and you can get anti-sieze on the threads.... then crap don't stick....

Run the caps ALL the way open and see if you can do something like that..... should save you down the road.... It shouldn't hurt if the end of the bolt has a slight cut in it.... or cut them at an angle if that's what you can do.... they do need relief.....

Dave

I should have mentioned that when I saw the design.... I knew what you were doing.... just getting too old to think 2 days in advance on others projects..... Sorry....
I will remember on the next project......:biggrin:

Last edited:
Dave, Good comment!  I'm absorbing as much as I can so I won't be a big pain in the butt next week or week after.

"I am so glad I have not attached the FB to CC, otherwise it would have created all kinds of access issues..  So for those of you considering building a reverse flow smoker, compete everything you can before joining the two."

STTIMMERMA (SP?)

Thanks for the advice.

Jerry

Looks good man. They also make dampers similar to that for stoves. Had
a buddy show me after I had made mine. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about already mounted on the stove.

Today, I joined the FB to CC. It now can't be moved by me alone.  

Everything came together very smooth, no issues.

I purchased the spring handles from a vendor on Amazon. Looks and fit like a charm

popcorn.gif

Plumb Purdy     Smoking pretty Soon !!

Gary

I have a plan for the FB grate for the wood/charcoal, just wanted to ask the group way they created the tuning plate, I have seen some posts where individuals have used a piece of angle iron to create the low spot for the draining of the water and grease.  

Had a couple of hours to work on the smoker project today, with temps in the upper 70's it was a great day to work outside

I will mount this on the bottom of the firebox, after a burn, I will remove the grate and sweep the ash into and through this 3" drain. 

I was concerned that the wheels might be affected by the heat, but after mounting them, It looks to me they will be far enough away from the firebox as to not be damaged.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky