60# Batch Wild/Domestic Hog Cajun Smoke Sausage...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As expected-the meat from that big ole wild hog sow has no off flavor/taste at all! One of the cleanest wild hogs I have gotten. The fat is not good for salami, but it makes excellent fresh and smoke sausages. I've made brats, Italian, and smoke sausage with it. All great! The bacon was real good too, but it is long gone.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
One thing I started doing was taking the TSPP and cure#1 and dissolve that in 4 cups of water. You must dissolve the TSPP first in 100*F water because it does not dissolve easily in cold water. Then add a little ice to cool, then add the cure #1 and stir until it dissolves. I use the remaining added water I will add to the sausage to hydrate the milk powder and whisk that good so all the powder dissolves. Then I pour the STPP and cure#1 in that milk slurry and whisk it in good. It gets real thick and gooey. I pour that into the sausage paste and mix it in good to extract proteins. Very good bind doing it this way...I'm talking commercial quality bind. Tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wurstmeister
Oh yeah!
60# !
I feel king when I make a 6# batch

Does all Cajun sausage use cure #1?
I only make fresh meaning no curing salt
Well...I had 172# of wild hog after last season. This is the last of it though. The smoke sausage is great at the deer camp for quick hot meals and lunches....Cajun Smoke sausage on a hot dog bun is the bomb!

No, cajun fresh sausage does not use cure #1.

Pic. of the color after blooming...
IMG_20220921_192823.jpg

Reactions: Wurstmeister
The smoke sausage is great at the deer camp for quick hot meals and lunches....Cajun Smoke sausage on a hot dog bun is the bomb!

No, cajun fresh sausage does not use cure #1.
Sorry, screwed up the reply.
My breakfast brats are ground pork with cooked egg and cheese stuffed in hog casing.
They reheat nicely in microwave or on a hot surface of the tractor engine. Serve in a hot dog bun.
Would love to meld Germanic and Cajun.

Last edited:
Sorry, screwed up the reply.
My breakfast brats are ground pork with cooked egg and cheese stuffed in hog casing.
They reheat nicely in microwave or on a hot surface of the tractor engine. Serve in a hot dog bun.
Would love to meld Germanic and Cajun.
That's the thing about Louisiana Culture...it is a melting pot. Plenty of German influence here. Our Andouille is of German and French influence. Most peope outside of Louisiana confuse our cuisine to be hot, but that is not the case. It has depths of flavor layered onto the dish in every way imaginable. And "spicy" does not necessarily mean "hot", though heat level is one component-there are many other flavors.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky