6 Store-Bought Barbecue Sauces That The Pros Swear By

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
But who are the pros ?

This is from those " barbecue experts " , Huff Post, so FWIW. They no longer refer to pitmasters, and call them " pit chefs " .

I think any list of store bought sauces that doesn't include Head Country, is not talking to the right people.

And the term " store bought " is very vague, is that grocery store or BBQ supply store ? Heck, that's two different worlds.

What say ye ?

6 Store-Bought Barbecue Sauces That The Pros Swear By

Reactions: Colin1230
I've never had the last two, but I have had the rest. I like the hot & spicy Bachan's, and I've had a few of the Lillie's Q sauces that were all quite tasty. I like that mambo sauce on wings.

Opinions are like noses, we all have them, they all smell.

I agree with you, SO, where did Taylor go shopping? There are alot of bbq sauces out there and my guess is that maybe 20 or so were tasted by someone with a different perspective on flavor the either of us.

For the record, most of us make our own and that's good enough.

Opinions are like noses, we all have them, they all smell.

I agree with you, SO, where did Taylor go shopping? There are alot of bbq sauces out there and my guess is that maybe 20 or so were tasted by someone with a different perspective on flavor the either of us.

For the record, most of us make our own and that's good enough.

My problem with making my own is the shelf life or fridge life. I have to make a really small batch cuz its not gonna last long in the fridge.

My fav sauce is Tuffy Stone's Cherry barbecue sauce, but I can't use it fast enough. I got half a bottle in the fridge now that's probably not good.

And of course, that's not really making my own, I'm following a recipe...........

Cherry Barbecue Sauce
makes 1 quart

What you need:
3 cups ketchup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1/2 cup sun-dried cherries

What to do:
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine all the ingredients with 1/2 cup water over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool slightly.

2. Puree the cooled sauce in a blender until smooth, and set aside until ready to use, or transfer the sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2

I just used the Lillie's sauce they show on some ribs . It's good stuff for what I like . I've had a few different sauces and rubs from Lillie's , and they were all good in my opinion .

I use a lot of the Bachan's , but mostly in stir fry stuff . It does work for grilling steaks too . Gives a nice char .

Reactions: mr mac
My favorite for ribs is a chipotle blueberry sauce I stole from 12 Bones Smokehouse in Asheville, NC. Simply combine a can of organic chipotle peppers (and only some of the adobo sauce) with some organic blueberry preserves.

The only other thing I'll sauce is BB and my wife makes a plum sauce that I don't have the recipe for. 😋

My problem with making my own is the shelf life or fridge life. I have to make a really small batch cuz its not gonna last long in the fridge.

My fav sauce is Tuffy Stone's Cherry barbecue sauce, but I can't use it fast enough. I got half a bottle in the fridge now that's probably not good.

And of course, that's not really making my own, I'm following a recipe...........

Cherry Barbecue Sauce
makes 1 quart

What you need:
3 cups ketchup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cherry preserves
1/2 cup sun-dried cherries

What to do:
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine all the ingredients with 1/2 cup water over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring continuously, for 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool slightly.

2. Puree the cooled sauce in a blender until smooth, and set aside until ready to use, or transfer the sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2
This sounds tasty. If you have a chance you should post this in its own post with a title like Cherry BBQ Sauce so folks find it easily in the future. Thanks for sharing it

Pretty fond of always having this one around. Like the whomp sauce too.

1701528090709.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
There are so many good sauces out there it's hard to get a bad one. Sweet Baby Ray's is a solid choice. I kind of like the Cow Town sauces but then again, I'm bias.

Reactions: chopsaw
For folks that do not want to click the link:

1. Sweet Baby Ray's
2. Lillie's Q
3. Bachan's Japanese BBQ
4. Capital City Mambo Sauce
5. Meat Mitch Whomp Sauce
6. Grill Your *ss Off Bunker Bacon Bourbon BBQ sauce

For folks that do not want to click the link:

1. Sweet Baby Ray's
2. Lillie's Q
3. Bachan's Japanese BBQ
4. Capital City Mambo Sauce
5. Meat Mitch Whomp Sauce
6. Grill Your *ss Off Bunker Bacon Bourbon BBQ sauce
I can't believe Kraft Original didn't make the list, and they call themselves pros.

Chris

I've only had the sweet baby rays from that list. I like spicy stuff but 99 percent of the people i cook for do not. They also have issues with garlic and onion, but sweet baby rays is ok for them. So that is our go to.

Reactions: JLeonard
There are so many good sauces out there it's hard to get a bad one. Sweet Baby Ray's is a solid choice. I kind of like the Cow Town sauces but then again, I'm bias.
Love their Nite of the Living BBQ sauce but can not find it any longer near me.

Out of that list, Ive had several of the Lillie's Q, great stuff. SBRs ehhhh, its ok, I like Stubbs better

I do like trying to make my own but honestly all my kids and wife love Sweet baby rays so I stopped and just use that. For pulled pork I add franks to my sandwiches but for ribs and everything else for how easy it is we stick to SBR

Reactions: Colin1230
I do agree with the Sweet Baby Rays flavor being great, but it contains MSG that bothers me later after eating. A friend gave me a copy cat recipe that is very close to it that I make up without any added MSG. I also have modified his recipe a little to give a little more bite but it is still pretty close to the original taste As also mentioned, KC masterpiece is on my favorite list also at times. For me, I mix in about a third Head Country Hot. Not everyone I know cares for that much heat but I like it at times.

Thanks for sharing, interesting my taste buds fit the #1 slot. I have not heard of the other 5. Will try if I get a chance.

Being diabetic I dont have a lot of sauce but loved the SBR raspberry chipotle they quit making, the Blues Hog rbc is pretty good though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky