55 Gallon Offset Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eastendneil

Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Hi all,

I'm new to this smokey BBQ thang and need plenty of advice, i have to finish the build of my first smoker, cure it and learning how to control temp and smoke before the 4th July. The 4th of July is when i'll be holding a surprise independance day party for my American pal, i'm in London.

So the quetions...?

FAT
How can i stop th fat from catching fire???
I have a shelf near the bottom of the cooking chamber and intend to place a tray on there to catch all the fat/juice. Is this okay or will it burn?

WOOD
How much wood do i use???
I plan on using good quality lumpwood coal and some oak and a few other pieces of wood, what ratio should i be using, how many lumps of real wood do i add to the hot coal??

Does the wood need to be added hot?

Your thoughts and advice are greatly needed as i hope to cure and run the barrel this sunday, i might even chance a piece of meat or two.

Eastend Neil

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky