55 Gallon Drum - Triple Giant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Is enybody else gonna try to build a triple?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

j0k3r-x

StickBurners
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
New Port Richey, FL
I built this outa three 55 gallon drums that were previously used for vegetable oil, no paint on the inside. For the top drums I welded the two open ends together to make one big cooking chamber. I was kinda worried that I wouldn't be able to get this thing up to temp but turns out that's not a problem at all! I had the temp up to 400 degrees with 4 logs. I put propane log starter in the bottom because it's just a pain to get the fire started evenly across the barrel. The shelf is hinged so if you unhook the chains it swings down outa the way. I could get a whole pig in this thing with no problem at all!

You can even charcoal grill in the top if you wish, there are expanded metal steel grates inside just under the regular grilling grates so when you are done all you have to do is sweep the ashes down the flues and they will fall into the bottom burn barrel. I am thinking about putting a steel charcoal pan in the left side under the grill grate so I can just lift it out and dump the ash. I also think I might T off the propane pipe running into the burn barrel for the log starter and run another pipe straight up with a shut off valve up to the left side of the cooking chamber through the bottom so I can either put a lump charcoal starter in the charcoal pan or just a straight propane burner in there. Won't cost much more just a shut off valve and about 2 or 3 feet more of the black pipe... What'cha think?

Thanks Josh!!! I really wish I would have just went with a single because this thing is really hard to move around in the grass and I don't cook that much meat very often. I guess I need to make some more friends so I can have them over and fill this thing up
biggrin.gif
When I was building it I stood the cook chamber up on it's end after I welded the 2 drums together and it gave me another idea! Maybe build a double UDS with doors on the outside instead of the top lid deal. Make a couple funky lookin smoke stacks coming outa either side. You would be able to get 8 or more grill grates in that monster, would really maximize the space in two 55 gallon drums Plus all of the meat would drip on the rack below it. Maybe weld some rocket fins on it to make it stand up and a cone on the top? The people next door might freak out when they see smoke rollin outa the thing
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Man my mind is full of stupid ideas and I can't make'em stop!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Is this the same triple drum smoker I saw for sale on the internet a couple weeks ago? I think they were asking 850 dollars.

Buzzard - I might try the gas thing, when I do if I do I will post pics. Thanks!

Nick, the answer is yes it is the same one you probably saw on Craigslist. I lowered it to $600.00 and still no sale so I guess I am stuck with it for a while.

Nice looking rig where did you find the firebox door?

Hey Chef Boy, I thought about mounting it on a trailer but I think I would have to weld some reinforcement angle iron in certain places. I would hate to come to a quick stop or hit the brakes quick and have it bend the body of the barrel where the supports are. This thing is not as heavy as an LP tank but not as strong either!

Hey Pineywoods, Just google the name on the door and you will find the website where I got the stove door & drum kit. I think if I ever build another I will weld my own door, supports & flues. I am probably gonna go for a LP tank build next time. I might try to build a double UDS thing though.

I think your smoker is real cool. A couple of axles with tires ought to get it around the yard. Nice job.

It's definitely a cool smoker, but 600obo is a bit steep IMO. What did the Vogelbrand kit cost you? You may be able to squeak some bucks out if it was transportable (wheels of somekind).

I hear ya bro! I spent too much on the Vogelzang stuff for sure it was around $180.00 and I got the drums for $20.00 each. It has 4 large heavy duty casters under the wood deck, you can't see them in my pics because of the grass. It rolls great if you ain't in soft dirt and grass.
I have about $450.00 in it with the grill grates, angle iron, expanded metal, thermometers, wood... It took me about 4 weekends to build and I nearly died of heat stroke doin it
cool.gif
Never gonna do this in the summer in Florida again that's fer sure! I just wanted to make a couple Bills off it but I can hang on to it for a while. I will fab my own stuff on my next build and fergit the Vogelzang stuff!

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I think a homebuilt smoker is a labor of love, and not necessarily a money maker unless you are Smokin Steve. I was up in the air on buying a chargriller outlaw w/sfb or building a 55gal horizontal out of a free drum. Thinking I would spend less on the drum I opted for that route. I will definitely spend more on the drum build than the smoker in a box route, but I will get some satisfaction on building something a little more unique.

Thumbs up, I just don't think you can make anything off of it. Good Luck though, looks good!

Thanks Pinkmeat! I have had a couple 3 or 4 offers on it but not quite enough for me to let it go. I am not really worried that much about selling it, just thought I would give it a shot. It is a labor of love as you say, but I love making things and I want to start on some other ideas that I have. I already have 5 smokers/grills layin around my house and the wifey ain't gonna like it if I start building another one! If my friend buys a house soon I think I may give it to him as a house warming gift.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky