55 gallon drum reverse flow cooker design. What do you think?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sascompany

Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Zeeland, MI

I want to build my first smoker from mostly material at hand ie minimal cost.  I think I covered all the critical measurements that I got using the calculator for you to double check.  

The reverse flow plate is formed 1/8" with drain.  I don't know if I need the adjustable damper for the reverse flow plate, but I can always just not use it.  

Firebox is 3/16" material.  Will the rubber wheels be too close for the temp.  I'm planning to make an expanded metal basket for the charcoal or wood.

For this smoker, I am primarily interested in fish and chicken/turkey.  I may try a brisket or pork shoulder if the smoker works okay.

Thanks for any input,

-Jon

Full size image:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/gallery/image/view/album/108110/id/167809/sort/display_order

Nice looking design!

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

Personally I think drums are a bit thin for a side fire box, harder to hold heat unless insulated.  Other than that, since you have flat ends, I'd almost put the fire box flush on the end rather than notched in to avoid a hot spot.  The other thing that sticks out at me is you might want to consider altering your legs/stand to put the wheels further back.  The way I'm seeing it, considering how light the drum is compared to the weight of a 3/16" fire box, you are going to get a "fat kid on the see saw" effect. I almost have it with mine and my tank is much heavier than a drum.  As far as the tires being too close, I have pneumatic tires on mine and they are about 11" from the box.  I have not had any problems with them melting or starting to smoke, but they do get pretty hot to the touch.  I wouldn't feel too comfortable about them being any closer than that.

I'm making the firebox from 3/16 plate all around.
Yeah I know, that's why I was suggesting getting those wheels further back.  3/16" steel plate weighs 7.75 lbs per square foot.  Your dimensions put your fire box weighing 85.5 lbs for the box alone.  By the time you add in your hinges, handle, dampers and fire grate, it will easily be pushing 100 lbs.  Now compare that to the light weight drum which is about 48 lbs.  Your axle is the fulcrum and you need enough weight and leverage on the cooking chamber side to overcome the weight on the fire box side or you will be popping a perpetual wheelie, and I just don't see it here.   My patio RF looks a lot like your drawing as far as the design and axle position.  My tank is almost half the diameter of yours, but it's longer and heavier gauge (43" compared to 34" on a drum and 1/8" compared to 18 ga on the drum) so weight is similar but I've got more leverage.  My fire box on the other hand is a lot smaller than yours and weighs in around 60 lbs.  Even with a longer, heavier tank and a much lighter fire box than yours, if I place a 10 lbs weight on top of my fire box it will pop a wheelie.  I have to be real careful about setting things (like a pot of beans) on the fire box.  I'd seriously recommend either moving the axle further back or adding a good amount of ballast to the other end.

One more thing to consider.  Does the drum have an epoxy liner?  If so you'll want to remove it.  The guys in the UDS forum should be able to help you determine if it is lined and how to remove it.  Best of luck with the build and don't forget to post pics as you go.

Id move the firebox dampner and install it on the door, you will have better airflow ,plus when your building the box, its easier to work with flat plat instead of messing with the heavy box. And raise it up so that you have air flowing under and over the wood grate and center it so that it will pull the air across the center of the fire.

The problems your going to have with the thin steel of that drum is that its going to disperse all of your heat. With a off set firebox, your going to be throwing wood in that thing like crazy to keep your temperature going. Turn4fun was right about having a hot spot having it notched like you originally had it, but I would not mount it out on the end either. My suggestion would be to mount the firbox underneath the drum, leave about 3" or 4" of gap and plumb it in with about an 8"pipe straight up into the cooking chamber. This will be more fuel efficient, and along with a nice reverse plate should keep the temp. even. Like this
cfb7d0f5_likeso.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky