• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

5050 owners...help

jayd4wg

Joined Jun 8, 2020
anyone have pictures of their 50/50 mods? I'd really like to seal this leaky beast up, but having a hard time getting things to stick. it does a decent job as-is, but i'd like to get it to do a little better. I did find out that simply flipping the charcoal tray over sufficiently aids in getting the same temp on the surface (confirmed with a 4 zone thermometer on my last smoke (which unfortunately was TOO LONG AGO as my poor grill/smoker is sitting all alone out in the back yard while I weekend warrior a deck that should be receiving joists this afternoon if i can get all the hangers installed. I have a piece of 3" flex vent to lower the chimney to grill level, that should help a bit too, but as soon as I do that it's gonna leak something fierce around the lid.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
That was my first smoker. I did the flipping of the charcoal tray and the extending of the chimney but not much else. To seal the lid I would recommend high heat RTV. I think it's the red stuff. Clean the outside of the cook chamber where the lid sits till its brand new looking. Lay a good bead of the RTV and cover it with plastic wrap. Close the lid and place a weight on top. Let it sit until the RTV cures. About a day or so. This should give you a tight seal. Good luck.

Chris

jayd4wg

Joined Jun 8, 2020
I've actually come to the conclusion that no matter what I do it's gonna leak like a rusted locomotive. as long as I can maintain temp, i can make good foods. I'm content with this...kinda. LOL

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.