500 gallon (i guess reverse)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
61839C96-E428-44A4-8AD3-AE3A0B7B2C92.jpeg
Tmaven,
I designed and had my smoker built with the plenum and exhaust stack at grate level and it works really well. Not a reverse flow but feel it would still matter where your exhaust is pulling the smoke and heat across.

Here is a pic of it.

Ok guys, applied changes.

I guess I will use circle chimney (looks far better, something like mobergs).

Placed thermometers as well, good?

Thanks everyone!

IMG_20181121_183716.jpg
IMG_20181121_184612.jpg

o.jpg

Looking good. I have not yet found a "magic" spot for gauges. They will only read the temp at the spot in which they sit. My failure wasn't for a lack of trying.......I have gone so far as to use thermocouples to measure temps in 10 different locations between fb and cc exhaust (would have used more but my data recorder only had 10 inputs). The only thing I learned is that each cooker has unique hot spots and those spots tend to "move" as the grates are loaded and the air circulation is modified.
Regardless of thermometer placement, after the first few cooks, you will probably begin seeing a similar correlation.
Don't forget to install a valve at the bottom of the drip tube to prevent unwanted drafting of cool air into the cc.

What do you think about this style of bottom rack?

10mm stainless tubes; easier to clean than full metal grade

Capture.PNG

Update, we had to put temporary steel bars in to stop selfbending. It is too heavy to keep perfect circle shape. Drip tube and V installed.

IMG_20181221_111349.jpg
IMG_20181221_111354.jpg

Good start..hard to keep an open tube round. Are you planning on tacking the drip pan floor up and welding the ends on before putting the final welds down?

We will use 2mm steel to sides (will do V shape). Weld just on 1 side (close to outside); other site in shape of L will be connected to V-drip by rivets (my welder said it will be better).

As well he wants to keep steel bars in until we do sides (to kee shape during works)

Update!

First run - bacon; pulled pork and porchetta - 80kg of meat inside.

And trailer is finally completed! Now we are brainstorming how to bind it together.

IMG_20190619_203437.jpg
IMG_20190620_050333.jpg
IMG_20190620_050142.jpg

IMG_20190619_123400.jpg

Reactions: Mad Jack
Wow. What a smoker you have built. That thing is a beast and the meats you have done look great.

Looking forward to seeing some of your future BBQ.

Nice job, how did you end up securing the smoker to it’s trailer? Also, what is the tube located on the lower backside (opposite doors) of the smoker used for?

Nice job, how did you end up securing the smoker to it’s trailer? Also, what is the tube located on the lower backside (opposite doors) of the smoker used for?

That tube is chimney - i make it removable.

I bought large stainless U shapes. + I will buy trailer strap to be 100% sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky