5 butts at same time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dewayne5565

Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
I am doing 5 butts averaging 8-9 lbs each at 225 degrees. I have smoked 3 at a time and it took about 2 hours/lb to get to IT of 200. Anyone know if 5 at a time will increase the time much since it will pretty much max out the space in the smoker? I am thinking of allowing 24 hours for cooking/resting and pulling...then into a roaster to keep until serving. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Should be the same or close to it, but every butt can be different. Remember that with pulled pork, it's not about time and temp, but about tenderness even though temp will give some indication. 24 hours should be more than enough time...

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Should be the same or close to it, but every butt can be different. Remember that with pulled pork, it's not about time and temp, but about tenderness even though temp will give some indication. 24 hours should be more than enough time...
Thank you for the response. I did edit my original post to include the internal temp for finish. I have several probes so I can monitor them, including the actual temp inside smoker (Pit boss is off a bit). I will figure 24 hours from serving to start smoking and wrap and keep in cooler if needed due to getting done alot earlier. Thanks again!

They should take about the same time maybe a little longer, as gonnasmoke said every butt might may cook a little different, personally I wouldn't be afraid to smoke them at 250-275.

you can start them at the 225*, but after several hours at that temp, as Jim stated above, bump the temp to 250-275. it won't change the amount of smoke they will get much and it will help them to push through the stall and finish faster for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky