4th To Do Enchiladas...But Different Of Course (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Alright, this enchilada thing is really kicking off. We may have to get the admins to start a sub forum just for these :emoji_wink: It started with Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) who planted the seed and these went on the short list of menus I'd been planning. Saturday morning I read the post by Richie ( tropics tropics ) and that was it....the final nail in my enchilada coffin. I'm making these today and nothing is gonna stop me. Now I jump in here to post and see another thread by Sowsage Sowsage that he's done them too. Way cool folks!! Saturday afternoon I'm sitting in my little pub thinking I want to do something a bit different and pondering the flavor profiles. Got the flavors figured out and decided I wanted something a bit meatier than ground beef. Figured I'd use stew beef and just cut the pieces down a little bit versus ground beef. That should satisfy the "meatier" aspect I was looking for. A bit later I go out to get the stew beef only to discover that I don't have any. OH NO!! Almost got ground beef then saw tenderloin tips. Took a minute of pause and thought "heck, doesn't everybody make enchiladas with filet mignon?" Sure they do...NOT. I didn't care. I had a plan and it's game on.

Tenderloin tips
001.jpg

Cut up into smaller pieces and into a pan to cook
002.jpg

Add a couple tablespoons of my taco seasoning and mix it in. This absorbs the liquid from the meat cooking.
003.jpg

I took about 6 oz of the enchilada sauce and put it in a bowl, cut up a few chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and put them in, then added 1 t each of guajillo and ancho pepper. Mixed all that up with the immersion blender to chop up the peppers better and incorporate into the sauce. Add to the meat
004.jpg

Made up some fresh guacamole. I like putting a shot of sour cream in my guac
005.jpg

Simmer meat for a bit to marry spices. Pan is a God awful mess but the contents are outstanding
006.jpg

Add some cheddar cheese, mix up, and roll the enchiladas
007.jpg

All rolled. Word to the wise: don't try this after going to the pub and think you're gonna have perfectly consistent enchiladas
008.jpg

Add the rest of the red sauce, another shot of guajillo and ancho pepper, cheese, and green onions
010.jpg

Onto the grill
011.jpg

Make a little guacamole salad on Romaine lettuce
012.jpg

These are really looking good!!
013.jpg

Done. Into the house and start plating
014.jpg

Money shot. Enchiladas, some Spanish rice, and the guac salad
015.jpg

Although a bit late jumping on the enchilada bandwagon, these were outstanding. No doubt a huge improvement in flavors with these over the last batch I did...and of course what I've gained was gained from SMF. There is a night and day difference between what I'm turning out ow and what I was doing a year or two ago. It's been one Hell of a ride, that's for sure!! One thing I learned from this was not to come home from the pub and break out a brand new set of surgically sharp knives. This could be detrimental to one's health. I didn't lose any digits, I didn't even bleed, but I do have a couple fingernails that won't need to be trimmed for a while :emoji_astonished:

Y'all said post them so I am,
Robert

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 0
You have been a busy guy the last few days! The enchies look great! I like the beef tip addition rather than just ground beef. Probably adds better flavor I would imagine. I did 17 pounds of butts over the weekend and a chuckie so I have plenty of meat to play with :emoji_laughing:. PP enchies are in my near future! Also like you cooked them on the grill. What temp?

Looks awesome Robert! Filet mignon! Yes please! That guacamole sounds delicious. I like a little sour cream as well. I like the additional spices in the mix as well. LIKE!

Those look really good also Robert. How do you like the texture in the flour tortillas? I've only used corn for enchiladas. Flour is easier to work with than corn.
Thanks Ed

Robert another beautiful plate of good eats. Likes
Richie

Can't tell you how much I appreciate it Richie. When I saw your post Saturday morning, that was it. Time to pull the trigger and make these things. It'd been a LONG time and I was well overdue. Yours however was far more impressive in that you'd never made them before nor had you ever eaten them. Your first time run was amazing!! I'm just trying to play catch-up :emoji_wink:

Still last in line as always,
Robert

You have been a busy guy the last few days! The enchies look great!

Thank you John. Although these were recent, a couple of the things I've been posting were in the past but sitting in folders on the desktop of my computer. I wasn't gonna post them but after all the positive reinforcement I got from a previous post and everybody telling me to showcase the stuff, I am literally playing catch up from the past week and a half or so....but doing as the good folks here have asked me to do.

Only a couple more and I'll be caught up,
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Looks awesome Robert! Filet mignon! Yes please! That guacamole sounds delicious. I like a little sour cream as well. I like the additional spices in the mix as well. LIKE!

Nothing like making elevated Mexican food with filet mignon, eh? It was an accident and certainly not planned that way but Tracy says this is it from no on. Was so tasty, tender, and succulent, I have a feeling this will be in our forever menu profile. If I served her anything less in the future, I might get my shopping privileges revoked at Certified Piedmontese Beef!!

Don't want that to happen,
Robert

Those look really good also Robert. How do you like the texture in the flour tortillas

Appreciate it. Truth be told, I can't stand corn tortillas. I know I'm likely to get my head ripped off for that but I just don't like them. I've always used / eaten flour torts. They stand up just fine to the sauce and cooking and retain flavor and texture as long as you don't over cook them and turn them to mush.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky