42 x 31 natural gas pipe build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dgm81

Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Hey guys, here's my situation. I have a piece of 1/2" wall pipe, 42" tall", 31" wide my grandfather builIt a smoker/grill out of in the '50s. I want to add I firebox on the side, weld the top shut, and cut a door in the side (vertical chamber). It was set up to be a direct cooker, with the firepan on crank and pulleys. You just don't come across pipe like this that often, and I want to make this work. I designed the firebox with to be 24 long 20 tall and 20 wide with the top angled to an 8" piece of flat stock. The opening to chamber will be from the start of the angle to the flat, hinged on top, with a ball valve intake damper. I'm also extending the chimney down 6 inches, it's flush now.

This is my first build and I really don't know what I'm doing. I would like 2 shaker baskets in the firebox, but with the size am I better off burning sticks? Any input you all have will be extremely beneficial at this point. I'm smoking on a chargriller SFB right now and I've done well with that, just looking to step up and make it mine!

If you post some pictures of what you are working with it will be easier for someone to help you with your design...

Also you need to stop in and post a little about yourself and your equipment in the Roll Call thread so that everyone can properly welcome you to the forum...

Last edited:
I'll have you some tomorrow afternoon or so. I'm in NC, the pit is in SC at my dad's house. For the time being, it's just a 42" tall by 31 dia cylinder with no SFB. I posted in Roll Call, glad to be here.

Last edited:
267e36d4_smoker5.jpg

I have a very similar size tank 43 x 30 that I am going to lay down on a cart and add a fire box and RF plate to. This will be a great sized smoker and will be able to cook all that you would want on it and should be able to feed 150-200 people from it on 1 cook.

Your pipe will be a very nice smoker, make sure you add a RF plate to it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky