3rd bacon attempt sweet and hot will it work?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
Third attempt now doing bacon.
The second went better than I expected.
I loved the sweetness I got off my last attempt and wanted to see if I could add a little heat to come though.
So for my mix I am going to do....
Using a pre-mix cure, 25g per kilo of meat.....
2.415kg of pork belly.
62gms cure mix
75gms brown sugar
? Cayenne chilli pepper (powder)
Black pepper.
I would like to add maybe some garlic powder and smoked paprika, but unsure on what measure to add.
Ill post photos soon.

Reactions: JC in GB
Dust it with the Cayenne before smoking it. It will come through the smoke better than in the cure that you rinse off.

Reactions: Pit pixie
Sounds good.
I will caution you on the sweet part, the sweeter the bacon gets the easier it will burn in the frying pan. Not this isn’t workable at lower fry temperature but still can be an issue.

Granulated garlic and pepper I apply by eyeball, apply like you were seasoning a roast.

Sounds good.
I will caution you on the sweet part, the sweeter the bacon gets the easier it will burn in the frying pan. Not this isn’t workable at lower fry temperature but still can be an issue.

Granulated garlic and pepper I apply by eyeball, apply like you were seasoning a roast.
I normally cook 'by eyeball' with everything.
What do you think of cayenne chilli powder, a tea spoon or two I would like to achieve a gentle warm after taste.

Dust it with the Cayenne before smoking it. It will come through the smoke better than in the cure that you rinse off.
I added maple syrup before smoking last time which gave it an amazing flavour.
Do you recommend putting the cayenne on while the belly is in the drying stage on when you start the smoke?

I added maple syrup before smoking last time which gave it an amazing flavour.
Do you recommend putting the cayenne on while the belly is in the drying stage on when you start the smoke?
I put my post cure seasonings on after I pull from the wet brine. I pay them dry then sprinkle a little or a lot.

Reactions: Pit pixie
I don't use any liquid when I cure, I assume you mean the liquid that is drawn from the meat in the curing process when you say brine?
20221008_150658.jpg

So I used
62g premixed cure
72g brown caster sugar
10g of ground black pepper
And eyeball garlic powder.

As suggested I will add cayenne pepper before the smoke.

I don't use any liquid when I cure, I assume you mean the liquid that is drawn from the meat in the curing process when you say brine?
View attachment 645460
So I used
62g premixed cure
72g brown caster sugar
10g of ground black pepper
And eyeball garlic powder.

As suggested I will add cayenne pepper before the smoke.
I use a wet cure.
I assume you rinse yours off when it comes out of the bag. Most do.
pat it dry, then add your seasoning and put into the fridge like normal prior to smoking

Yes the last time I rinsed off patted dry and added maple syrup and left to dry for 13 days in the fridge.
The first time I didnt add anything, it was an epic fail.
As suggested above I will add cayenne pepper before smoking, as I want to get a little warming after taste. It is nearly winter and everyone likes that warming feeling from food at this time of year.

I have done pepper bacon for a little kick and it always works better when added after the cure, just rub it on and smoke. If i add it to the cure there is essentially no flavor.

Corey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky