3-2-1 Method Questions....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickbailey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Is there any way to convert the 3-2-1 Method to 4 hour smoking time instead of 6. Would it be like 2-1.33-0.66 Method? haha? Would that mess up the method? Or do you think I could pull it off?

Use baby backs, but you would still be pushing it in 4 hours. I would probably smoke for 3 hours, sauce and finish on the grill.

Well I have side ribs, it's all I have atm. I'm not mopping at all. SO perhaps lose the 1 portion of it? Also, I'm doing the ribs alot with two beercan chickens, so I'm trying to run the temp at atleast 250F. So thats why I figure the ribs wouldn't take long at all. I relize that it's going to be tricky but i'm trying to pull it off. I'm looking at 4-5, my time frame doesn't really allow for much logner cooking time than that.

The key to nice tender ribs is low and slow. Another method would be to leave in your oven warmer overnight (at about 150 degrees), and finish on the grill. Also, my neighbor will preheat his oven to 350 degrees, put the ribs in, turn off the stove, and go to bed. And lastly, if you have to, (I can't believe I'm saying this!) you could parboil them for about 30-45 minutes with vinegar and salt in the water, then finish on the grill. No matter what, you have to break down the connective tissue to get tender ribs. Give it a try, and let us know what you think.

Yeah, I usually simmer them (which is not boiling as it's enough to break them down, but not fully remove the flavour) and it works out really well for me, also cuts down o nthe cooking time.

The only problem, it that even with the vinegar and salt, you still lose a lot of flavor. Its just hard to rush perfection! ;)

Another trick that I use on occasion is that when I have the time, I will cook ribs about 3/4 of the way done, then remove and freeze. Then when I'm hungry for ribs, I'll defrost them and place them on the grill for about an hour wrapped, then sauce and finish over high heat. Almost as good as fresh smoked, but done in about 55 minutes. Sometimes you just have to get creative.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky