2nd Smoke Session Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Anthony Kemp

Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
Cary NC
20180806_213705.jpg
20180806_213705.jpg
20180807_211624.jpg

Attachments

• 20180807_140154.jpg
    20180807_140154.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 8
Tell us a bit, was your first try bland? Too sweet? No heat? On a pork butt you really can't over season the outside with a rub because surface area vs volume is far in the favor of volume vs most every other cut.

Reactions: Anthony Kemp
The first was not bland, nor sweet. My guests loved it. I guess it just didnt have as much heat as i expected. It was delicious, just trying to up the heat a bit for the next one.

Personally I'd dump the BS all together.

BTW the butt looks real good.

Chris

At a quick look, that is pretty tame for an 8lb butt. Plenty of room to up your hotter/zestyier spices. The 1/4 cup paprika, if it's just normal - not hot - isn't giving much but color and it's the #1 by volume. Search youtube for "big D's rub" I've used several times as a starting point, then I added a bit more cayenne and Ancho powder and it starts getting ribs to a slightly "oh there's a touch of heat/spice" point, will barely if at all notice any heat on a butt but gives a nice flavor.

Not sure if you did but also slather the butt with yellow mustard to get a good heavy coat of rub to stick.

Hi there and welcome!

I agree with the others that you can go way heavier on the seasoning.
I also agree that you can go heavier on the Cayenne because what you have on paper won't touch the 8 pounder.
I also also agree to drop the brown sugar period.

Finally I would put a good coat of Garlic powder/granulated on it (just shake all over it, don't bother measuring) AND add Onion Powder/Granulated/Minced/Dehydrated and use it like I explained the Garlic.

Do all of that and you should kick up the heat as well as the flavor.

91BB3DC2-9703-4B04-BAD7-779F545AC22E.jpeg
0B1DE06B-07D7-4777-8EDA-EA533453DC1C.jpeg
Anthony,
Here is my rub recipe just for a guide.
I put a really thick layer of rub on the fat side of the butt and then once it’s cooked, you mix that fat (and rub) into your meat and it’s amazing.
Hope this helps.
Also, I only cook them at 225 if I’m doing them overnight and don’t want to worry about them but otherwise I go 275-300 cause it comes out the same and you just saved yourself hours to be able to do something else.
Oh and I literally take them out of the packaging and put rub on them. Not sure all the other days worth of letting it sit really do much IMO. I usually don’t have days either. I smoke ‘em when I can.

I've slowly been refining my technique to taste the BBQ Rub. As a former smoker, my tastebuds are fairly shot. So I honestly think you are better off doing a light rub, as to develop bark, then when pulling the pork, sprinkle more in as you go. At this point in my search to taste the rub flavours though I'm mixing rub into a marinade and injecting. I also don't bother with a mustard rub. I work the meat over with the rub and let it settle for at least 30 mins per side in my fridge.

Started my 8lb butt at 7AM this morning. Built my coal bed last night. Walked out this morning with my coffee and fired it up! Going on hour 7 right now!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky