2nd Comp with new rig...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bruno994

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Buna, Texas
Well, I just recently finished my second competition here in Texas with my new 150 gallon rig.  Didn't go quite as I had hoped, but I made several key errors in my process that led to my lackluster performance.  #1 error, changed my rubs on my brisket and ribs prior to the comp, without using or experimenting at all.  I had been recommended a commercial rub by a family friend and ordered some of Bad Byrons Butt Rub, received it the Tuesday before this past weekends comp and never had a chance to try it out.  So I went into the weekend without knowing the amount of rub to apply to my meat.  In the end, I had opted to put less than more and although the ribs and brisket both had a good smokey, beef and pork flavor, neither had enough kick for the judges to be impressed.  Second error was on the ribs, I overcooked them a bit.  Great 3-2-1 fall off the bone ribs, but I had pulled them from the foil at 1 1/2 hours instead of 2 hours to get that bite mark rib you need in comps.  They were delicious, but were probably too tender for what the judges were looking for, close, but still too tender.  I did walk with an 8th in chicken, and it was the category that I was disappointed in the most.  I knew the ribs were slightly overcooked for comp, but was hoping that if they held together good enough to get tasted, they had a chance to place.  The brisket was tender, but held together when you held a slice up in the middle.  I felt good about it as well.  Great smoke ring and good beef flavor.  The comp was a benefit for the local Masonic Lodge Scholarship fund here in Beaumont, Texas. Other events Friday night included open (cooks choice), dessert and margarita contests, I did not enter into any of those events.  There were a total of 17 teams entered, with quite a few big names out of Louisiana and Houston.  Below are pics of my turn ins. Rib pic is not a great shot. 

0f67d95c_IMG_0234.jpg

37e11ec7_IMG_0246.jpg
1beb7c2c_IMG_0230.jpg

Sounds like a great learning experience and that you are starting to dial in on what you want to present. Congrats 

I still think it takes balls to risk so much for so little. Congrats on continuing your education, even if it didn't turn out as you had hoped.

My 15 year old daughter camped out with me on Friday night to assist with any duties needed (cleaning, applying the rubs while my hands were messy, etc.).  Saturday prior to turn ins, my wife and young pitmaster (4 year old, Evan), showed up.  We had a great time spending the afternoon together.  Here are a few more pics from Saturday...

0c55ed5a_IMG_0253.jpg

bddf8929_IMG_0250.jpg

e2f63273_IMG_0249.jpg

It was my fifth cook on my RF rig that I finished a couple months back and still really love the way it handles.  I am loving it more and more everytime as I learn the ins and outs of the smoker.  We got all the meat prepped by 8:00 pm Friday night and put it back into the coolers until it was time to throw them on the pit.  With this being a benefit, we had to donate a brisket for their plate lunches they were selling.  No problem, but I had already decided I was going to cook my briskets until they hit 165 IT at 225 degrees, then I would bump the pit temp to 250.  So, the donated brisket needed to be turned in around 10 am, and being a bit worried about meeting that deadline, we went ahead and got up after a few hour nap and got the fire started around 1:00 am with 20# of KIngsford blue bag in the charcoal basket with a few chunks of oak and a few sticks of hickory once the coals got good and hot.  The 2 briskets (12# for donation and 15# for comp turn in) went on at 1:45.  I put these in fat side down, I typically put fat side up, but wanted to experiment with these.  Closed both air intakes on either side of the firebox to about 1/8 open and stayed up until my temp had steadied at 225 (measured with my Maverick ET-732 in a block of wood in the center of the bottom grate) and took a short nap from 3 to 4:45.  Got up threw a few sticks of oak and hickory on the fire, cracked the firebox door long enough to get those burning good, then sealed her up again.  When I laid down in the tent at 3:00, pit temp was 228, when I got up to check it at 4:45 it was at 221, by 5:30 it was back at 225.  Over the 4 1/2 hours that I was shooting for 225, I took 8 temp checks at 30 minute intervals (minus the nap), it averaged 224.375.  Almost on the dot, I had one spike of 235, and one dip of 216.  About 7:00 am, both briskets were at or above 160, so I started bringing the temp up to 250. Didn't take much, a few sticks of wood and opening the intakes a bit more.  From 7:00 until 11:30 while we were holding 250, our average was 247 over 16 temp checks.  Spike being 261, dip being 234.  The 15# brisket took a total of 8 1/2 hours to reach 205 IT.  My fat side down experiment proved nothing to me, I don't think the brisket was anymore or less tender, or juicy than when I have cooked them fat side up.  I'll keep playing with that.  I am convinced the RF plate, all but eliminates or at the very least reduces the amount of time that the "stall" happens.  The 15# was at 156 IT at 6:00 am, 158 at 6:30, 162 at 7:00, 165 at 7:30, and at 8:00 was at 171 (this is when I foiled).  After foiling it only moved 1 degree, to 172 by 8:30, but after that, it moved fast. reaching 205 just after 10:15 am.  I probe my briskets dead center, from the side of the flat.  You get too many crazy readings from the point, sometimes 10-15 degrees hotter than the flat.  Nothing better than a great brisket smoke in only 8 1/2 hours! 

A couple more pics from the weekend...me headed in with the chicken turn in, the fire at 3:00 am, and the camp...

d90600c1_IMG_0232.jpg

cdb74398_IMG_0213.jpg

c61cf5f6_IMG_0239.jpg

Thanks Dave, too bad you weren't in Texas this past weekend.  I left disappointed, but I think I have my errors pinpointed and we'll see next time.  There really aren't anymore comps close to me (less than a 2 hour drive) for a while, so I might try my hand at judging a few contests during this time.  It might help me with my idea of how I am doing, I might realize that I'm just pissing into the wind with my product, or it might just piss me off when I realize that mine is as good if not better than others.  Either way, I'm sure it will only help me.  In the meantime, I'll keep cooking and eating. 

Last few pics of this past weekend...

The wife....the brisket, it had been sitting out about 30 minutes after getting my turn in slices off it, so it looks drier than it was...and the pit chugging along Saturday morning, the pic doesn't show the TBS, but it was there...

990568ce_IMG_0259.jpg

83e6b15f_IMG_0241.jpg

caf027fd_IMG_0214.jpg

what great family outing IMO! 

pretty brave experimenting on a competition event! however i understand the need to tinker :)

keep up the good work and have faith in your own rub!

Thanks to everyone for the great comments.  Barnesski1, that golf club is an old one of mine from about 30 years ago (Spalding 3 iron, blade style, the only thing it's good for anymore is a fire poker), I use it as my fire poker.  Works great!  My Titleist irons were in the back seat of my truck.  Most contests are a crap shoot anyway, so I don't feel bad, but I did think my meat was better than what most people know as BBQ.  There is not a one of us on here that can't produce better BBQ than 90% of the restaurants we have gone to over the years.  If nothing else, SMF has provided us with that.  Thanks again.

Hey Bruno, I totally agree with you. When we cook bad BBQ it is still better than the stuff they sell. Congrats on the contest with the chicken. It took us several competitions before we got it figured out what would do good. Practice practice practice.

Bruno,  Good Job!  Your brisket, ribs and chicken all looks excellent and I'm envious of your rig.  Great looking family too!  Buna is lucky to have a great guy like you competing.

I agree that a lot of "BBQ" is restaurants is lack luster, and flavored for the masses.  The point about competions being a "crap shoot" made me smile. I've done a lot of cook offs and you are right on target.  Judging is so very subjective from minute to minute.

But hey, you keep putting out that beautiful TBS and spending time with the people that matter.

Happy Memorial day!

texas.gif

Last edited:
That brisket looks on point wish I had a slice.  Everything looked good the chicken was a little on the dark side for Texas Comps but the flavor must have been right on.  I had some friends cooking that one.  Next time get a tooth pick and pin your skin under the breast meat so you don't get that pull back on the chicken you just have to remember to take the toothpicks out before turning in. That is a great pit you got there wish I had that kind of fabrication skills. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky