2nd Brisket Cook....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup , looks like you got it figured out this time . Nice work .
I'm with bregent bregent . Looks like it's been cross cut , and I agree , the whole thing must have been huge .

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Good looking brisky you've got there. Flats are mostly sold around here. It's tough finding just a point or even a full packer for that matter. Well done.

Point for sure
Chris

Yes, it looks like you got it dialed in. I also have done only one before (Al's method), this last Christmas. It turned out good. I couldn't quite get it probe tender due to time constraints but it worked. Have confidence to do again.
Thanks Winterrider for the like and compliment!

Yup , looks like you got it figured out this time . Nice work .
I'm with bregent bregent . Looks like it's been cross cut , and I agree , the whole thing must have been huge .
Thanks Chop for the like and kind words!

Good looking brisky you've got there. Flats are mostly sold around here. It's tough finding just a point or even a full packer for that matter. Well done.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks for the like Chris and comments!

Looks great man! nicely done!
Thanks Sandy for the like and nice words!

Picture perfect brisket right there!
Thanks Teal appreciate the like and comments!

John

Tasty! I like the point juiciness. Those flats can get dry, being one muscle with no intramuscular marbling fat and just the subcutaneous fat cap. With fat caps, nothing soaks in as the meat shrinks, contracts, expelling it's own juice every degree. It's a one way street out. Good for chili if drier. The point has a few muscles so it holds fat as it renders in place and then the gelatin absorbs 10Xs it's weight in juice. I don't usually wrap whole ribs, butts and brisket but with a flat I'd wrap at 160 but prefer to smoke a few hours and sous vide the flat @ 150/24 hours like SmokinAl SmokinAl . Otherwise I smoke the whole packer brisket @ 275ish. We like that bark. Nice recovery from the flat.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to have another go at smoking a brisket. Just as a reminder for those who do not know, I did a flat this summer on the Weber Genesis with indirect heat, same as I have done successfully with quite a few butts, ribs etc., and it turned out like shoe leather and was not even edible so it ended up in the trash can.

Needless to say I have been a bit leary about having a second go but I figured now was the time since I added a Rec Tec to my arsenal and have done quite a few cooks on it to become familiar, including a test run with a couple of chuckies.

So here is the 13 lb. USDA Choice Point that I bought from Sam's with Jeff's Texas Rub and wrapped overnight, then injected prior to hitting the smoker @235 with Lumber Jack competition pellets. Out of the fridge at 3am and on the smoker at 4am.

View attachment 429359

Here is a view of the sun coming up at about 7am.
View attachment 429360

And after a few hours and IT temp at about 140. I did start spraying it every hour or so with the leftover injection marinade, topped up with a bit more broth.
View attachment 429361

Here it is at an IT of 200 and ready to pull. The bald spot is where my quality control officer took a sample from...
View attachment 429362

So I put it on the tray to rest tented for a bit.
View attachment 429363

And now onto the cutting board to be sliced.
View attachment 429365

Boy does it have some nice bark and a killer smoke ring or what?
View attachment 429368

And here is the final plated shot, with homemade fried potatoes and onions and a homemade spinach casserole with smoked grated Asiago cheese.
View attachment 429370

For those interested in what I used for the injection marinade, I found it here.
2 Cups beef broth
1/4 cup worcestershire
1tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne

It turned out really nice and juicy and really tender, so a success! Finally....

Sue and I have already had some with breakfast it is so good. And I need to get it vac sealed quick or there won't be any left. :emoji_laughing:

Thanks for Lookin'

John
That's one fine looking brisket you got there sir! Amazing smoke ring! Here where I live they do sell point cuts at the local Market Basket. In fact it's cheaper than buying the flats.

:emoji_wink:
Tasty! I like the point juiciness. Those flats can get dry, being one muscle with no intramuscular marbling fat and just the subcutaneous fat cap. With fat caps, nothing soaks in as the meat shrinks, contracts, expelling it's own juice every degree. It's a one way street out. Good for chili if drier. The point has a few muscles so it holds fat as it renders in place and then the gelatin absorbs 10Xs it's weight in juice. I don't usually wrap whole ribs, butts and brisket but with a flat I'd wrap at 160 but prefer to smoke a few hours and sous vide the flat @ 150/24 hours like SmokinAl SmokinAl . Otherwise I smoke the whole packer brisket @ 275ish. We like that bark. Nice recovery from the flat.
Yes it came out really juicy, I am sure the injection marinade helped. And speaking of dry that is exactly how that flat turned out.

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky