• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

2lb Tri-Tip Chief Smoker Electric... HELP?? 7,000 Feet elevation (Sierra's)

Joined Jul 4, 2017
Need some help as I am not sure the amount of time I need to have the Tri-Tip in the Smoker..

I am using mesquite/alder wood chips I bought from a local store. 

From what I read on here & as the manual says (to which the smoker came with) that the smoker varies in temperature. I read on here it gets up to 165* F... I am just concerned with how long I should leave the Tri-Tip in the smoker for 

TIME: ?? 

CHIPS: mesquite/alder wood chips

CUT: Tri-Tip 

Newb when it comes to smoking meet. Help would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Ben 

cavman

Smoke Blower
Joined May 29, 2017
I used to smoke like that. I would smoke two panfuls of chips and then finish on the gril to 135 IT. About 3 to 4 min per side.

domerskee

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 16, 2014
If your smoker only runs at 165 it's gonna take a LONG time. I'd get an oven thermometer or something to determine your real temp. Ideally you'll be up in the 220-250 range. After that, time is just a ballpark measurement. The meat is done when it hits your desired temp.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.