2lb Tri-Tip Chief Smoker Electric... HELP?? 7,000 Feet elevation (Sierra's)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benjamin pessah

Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Need some help as I am not sure the amount of time I need to have the Tri-Tip in the Smoker..

I am using mesquite/alder wood chips I bought from a local store. 

From what I read on here & as the manual says (to which the smoker came with) that the smoker varies in temperature. I read on here it gets up to 165* F... I am just concerned with how long I should leave the Tri-Tip in the smoker for 

TIME: ?? 

CHIPS: mesquite/alder wood chips

CUT: Tri-Tip 

Newb when it comes to smoking meet. Help would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Ben 

I used to smoke like that. I would smoke two panfuls of chips and then finish on the gril to 135 IT. About 3 to 4 min per side.

If your smoker only runs at 165 it's gonna take a LONG time. I'd get an oven thermometer or something to determine your real temp. Ideally you'll be up in the 220-250 range. After that, time is just a ballpark measurement. The meat is done when it hits your desired temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky