22" Kettle Spares, Snake Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Someone I know and respect had a question about spare ribs on a 22" Weber kettle, so here we go. Mustard coat with Jeff's Texas Rub, you can't beat these rubs, want to waste money on other stuff go ahead.
DSCN4104.JPG

Charcoal chain (snake) setup with some oak splits. Pulled to probes after one hour, been doing this long enough not needed anymore

DSCN4105.JPG

Five hours in, starting to shape up

DSCN4106.JPG

Just to note here, solid 25mph wind and 100º here, trying to get her done before the storm rolls in

Toothpick probed around an IT 196º perfect, baste with SBR, pulled 15 minutes later

DSCN4107.JPG

A darned fine rack of spares, good bite with just a hair of tug, I hate FOTB. Plated with some beans and zukes, easy and delicious.

DSCN4108.JPG

Wind and weather mean nothing when using a Weber kettle, all it takes is a little experience. Once I had the setup right I closed top and bottom vents to half open, or closed if you like. Total time was 6&1/2 hours, it'll never go a half hour one way or the other. Try the snake, dammed near fool-proof, and if a fool like me can do it anyone can. Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe! RAY

Beautiful color on those ribs and Sweet Baby Rays makes a nice sauce. Nice plated pic, well done!!!!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice looking ribs Ray! And yes, Jeff's rubs are excellent! We also dislike FOTB ribs...want a good bite! Anymore, run hit and fast...doesn't take near that long.

Ryan

Beautiful color on those ribs and Sweet Baby Rays makes a nice sauce. Nice plated pic, well done!!!!

Nice looking ribs Ray! And yes, Jeff's rubs are excellent! We also dislike FOTB ribs...want a good bite! Anymore, run hit and fast...doesn't take near that long.

Ryan

Beautiful work Ray! Color and pullback are perfect. I also prefer a good clean bite vs FOTB.

Nice rack Ray.

Awesome ribs and love seeing the kettle go to work! Points for a classic done perfect!

Gorgeous ribs and a great plate.
Jim

Good looking ribs Ray.

Rob

awesome looking ribs and a great meal! thanks for sharing!

Nice work again Ray . That's a fantastic meal .

Exactly . They're built for it .

I'd like to thank you all for the kind comments and Likes, they are greatly appreciated. Keep on smokin! RAY

Reactions: bauchjw and jcam222
Phenomenal cook Ray! Those spares are a thing of beauty and that plate… just YUM! Slap a bib on me and I’d have dove in head first! 😉

I am with you… not a fan of FOTB!

Phenomenal cook Ray! Those spares are a thing of beauty and that plate… just YUM! Slap a bib on me and I’d have dove in head first! 😉 I am with you… not a fan of FOTB!

Thanks Justin! The only reason for that post was so some could see going low and slow on a kettle without having to pay for a SnS. I have an SnS and actually prefer going with the snake for long cooks, even better on the 26"er. RAY

Ray, another absolutely outstanding rib cook on the kettle.
The sauced pic says it all amigo.
Nice work. Stu

Thanks Stu! Looks like we might be cookin' indoors the next few days, time to break out the chopsticks! RAY

Beautiful looking rack of ribs Ray. The color on those things is to die for and a really nice plate of food you and that Weber are getting along really well these days :emoji_wink: Nicely done my friend.

Robert

Thanks for the thread, looks great
Thanks Adam! One can't do huge cooks on a 22, but they do darned near everything economically and really dammed well, best tool in the box. Thanks for the like Adam, much appreciated! RAY

Beautiful looking rack of ribs Ray. The color on those things is to die for and a really nice plate of food you and that Weber are getting along really well these days :emoji_wink: Nicely done my friend.
Robert
Thanks Robert! I had my first kettle 46 years ago, learned more in the last three years than in the first 43, wish I knew back then what I know now. Thanks for the Like amigo, I appreciate it! RAY

Beautiful Ribs! I am a frequent user of the snake method myself.
Thanks Murdy! If I'd have known about the snake I most likely would have never bought the SnS, tho the Vortex is really another great tool to have in the box. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky