21 day dry aged, grass fed strip loin roast- half

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Was gifted this cut that was 3.6 pounds of 21 day dry aged, grass fed strip loin. Scored the fat cap side and Seasoned with bearcarvers suggestion of rub with steak sauce, pepper garlic powder and onion powder. Added salt. Kept a sprig of rosemary that was vacuum sealed w the meat. Wrapped in Saran Wrap Let that sit in for 14 hours. Brought meat to room temp. Smoked in mes 30 w pit master blend of amazen pellets.
smoked at 200-2. Light smoke. Basted w butter once in the middle. Cooked a little under 3 hours. Assume the dry agings removal of water sped up the process.

pulled at 128. Rest for 30. Put in half and Went to the meat slicer. Fat cap was causing some issues cutting. So trimmed some fat off and was much better cuts. Family and kids enjoyed.

Today I well trimmed the fat cap before using the meat slicer. No one bothered to make the rye sandwiches, use the horse radish sauce etc. just kept eating the meat and a picking at a cheese stray. we may have a new holiday tradition

Bearcarver recipe for reference.
Basically shifted to Jeff’s site recipe for lower pull temps.

cooked FC4CB0AD-4DFB-4B01-879B-AFDC10028FA0.jpeg E15FFA35-274F-462A-8501-972DD65DE2FE.jpeg seasoned 60A6617C-9845-45F3-9529-294D4ED12FE3.jpeg first slice 3C17FBFD-7324-408F-8884-D2CCB9F77671.jpeg
Lunch next day
575FA62D-953E-4729-B2AE-B7A394482701.jpeg C5F3BCD9-D2F7-431F-80E2-D7F0F15E9AEB.png Cheese tray 3A727CBF-E8A9-4374-AA98-8553785557DA.jpeg 7C5DD291-1F33-401B-8611-80B7D8459530.jpeg dinner

It looks very good and probably tasted even better. Next you need to cold smoke that cheese :emoji_laughing:

The only suggestion I would have is to go from fridge to smoker do not "let it get to room temp" bacteria and other nasties multiple better when the meat is in that area from fridge to room temp. You will also get longer in the smoke if you go straight from fridge to smoker.

Reactions: jcam222
It looks very good and probably tasted even better. Next you need to cold smoke that cheese :emoji_laughing:

The only suggestion I would have is to go from fridge to smoker do not "let it get to room temp" bacteria and other nasties multiple better when the meat is in that area from fridge to room temp. You will also get longer in the smoke if you go straight from fridge to smoker.
Thank you. It was about an hour out

i want to try fish before cheese. But know I need to look into the mailbox mod first or find the cold smoke adaptor from

Noted on room temp comment. This was about an hour out of the fridge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky