2023 Throwdowns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the best use of leftover smoked meat??? We all usually have leftovers so lets see who has the best ideas for how to use them?
I actually like that! Tamales with left over pulled pork, etc. The possibilities are near endless.

It also doesn't limit a person who feels they are stronger with one meat than another. Plus the creativity and crazy thoughts are endless.

I also want to apologize to the forum for getting frustrated yesterday. I was just having a bad day.
Good to hear. Someone has to stay in there and keep an eye on TNJAKE TNJAKE , that kid is a handful. Lol.
The volunteers are really doing the Lords work in helping to bring these activities to the forum. Not much glory in it but it sure makes the forum a great place. Remember, you can not be everything to everyone, the players are the players and the watchers watch. But I will say that the glamor thing is a problem. Meaning the entries that have killer photography and chef style presentation will always win. We eat with our eyes first, all of us. So the struggle is really with folks making great entries but aren’t so talented in presentation and picture taking are always out. It’s intimidating to some. The playing field has to be leveled some how. Either we are going all Iron Chef, or we are going to allow weekend warriors with simple means compete. Personally I want that backyard feel in the presentation and get away from the Iron Chef type competition. Just me. But we have to have the majority of folks be in the running. Otherwise you are going to limit entry and participation. Just some thoughts.

Reactions: Nefarious and DougE
But I will say that the glamor thing is a problem. Meaning the entries that have killer photography and chef style presentation will always win. We eat with our eyes first, all of us. So the struggle is really with folks making great entries but aren’t so talented in presentation and picture taking are always out. It’s intimidating to some. The playing field has to be leveled some how. Either we are going all Iron Chef, or we are going to allow weekend warriors with simple means compete. Personally I want that backyard feel in the presentation and get away from the Iron Chef type competition.
You raise a good point, Eric. I'm not sure just yet how to address it, but most everyone has seen my food posts and they're right off the chow line. I'm sure I could manage it, but showing off my cooks in a way that I'd actually plate my food up for myself to eat seems right rather than showing off like a high end restaurant.

Good to hear. Someone has to stay in there and keep an eye on TNJAKE TNJAKE , that kid is a handful. Lol.
The volunteers are really doing the Lords work in helping to bring these activities to the forum. Not much glory in it but it sure makes the forum a great place. Remember, you can not be everything to everyone, the players are the players and the watchers watch. But I will say that the glamor thing is a problem. Meaning the entries that have killer photography and chef style presentation will always win. We eat with our eyes first, all of us. So the struggle is really with folks making great entries but aren’t so talented in presentation and picture taking are always out. It’s intimidating to some. The playing field has to be leveled some how. Either we are going all Iron Chef, or we are going to allow weekend warriors with simple means compete. Personally I want that backyard feel in the presentation and get away from the Iron Chef type competition. Just me. But we have to have the majority of folks be in the running. Otherwise you are going to limit entry and participation. Just some thoughts.
This is exactly why I suggested a two tier entry system. Whether you define it by one tier being prior winners and the other those who haven’t or allow entrants to pick which tier with one being plain that upscale presentation is one key attribute.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
This is exactly why I suggested a two tier entry system. Whether you define it by one tier being prior winners and the other those who haven’t or allow entrants to pick which tier with one being plain that upscale presentation is one key attribute.
We will discuss this idea

Reactions: jcam222
You raise a good point, Eric. I'm not sure just yet how to address it, but most everyone has seen my food posts and they're right off the chow line. I'm sure I could manage it, but showing off my cooks in a way that I'd actually plate my food up for myself to eat seems right rather than showing off like a high end restaurant.
For daily posts that makes all the sense in the world. That said it is a contest. Most people put extra effort into contests whether it’s this or frankly any contest.

For daily posts that makes all the sense in the world. That said it is a contest. Most people put extra effort into contests whether it’s this or frankly any contest.
The means of folks. That is what it’s about. Some do not have access to good photography equipment and are not schooled in plating and presentation. You are a Rock Star in these regards Jeff, but not everyone else is. To have forum fun we have to level that field of play. Ultimately it’s the judges that make that call, so there is that.

Honestly, I can play in your world Jeff, at least a little. But most often when I make food it’s for the family and I have teenage boys and a grandma plus a wife digging for food in the chow line. I can do presentation and photos, but frankly, my family time is more important than this forum. So I plate fast take pics and move on. I don’t, as many members don’t, have the luxury of time to plate , present and photo. It’s all nonsense. Level the field or I’m out period.

Reactions: TKOBBQ1 and DougE
Agree, depending how many there are going to be, a really good mix is useful so people get a chance when they think they have the skill.

The means of folks. That is what it’s about. Some do not have access to good photography equipment and are not schooled in plating and presentation. You are a Rock Star in these regards Jeff, but not everyone else is. To have forum fun we have to level that field of play. Ultimately it’s the judges that make that call, so there is that.

Honestly, I can play in your world Jeff, at least a little. But most often when I make food it’s for the family and I have teenage boys and a grandma plus a wife digging for food in the chow line. I can do presentation and photos, but frankly, my family time is more important than this forum. So I plate fast take pics and move on. I don’t, as many members don’t, have the luxury of time to plate , present and photo. It’s all nonsense. Level the field or I’m out period.
No need to call good photos nonsense.......there will be forum wide vote and the throwdown committee will provide a separate vote. Our vote will be a little more subjective. I want everyone included in being a part of this

No need to call good photos nonsense.......there will be forum wide vote and the throwdown committee will provide a separate vote. Our vote will be a little more subjective. I want everyone included in being a part of this
As a member of this committee, I echo Jake's sentiment. The committee will judge content and execution first, and if it's very close, presentation. I'm not saying you can just plate up a mess and expect a win, but we want everyone to be confident that they have a chance of winning aside from their plating/camera skills. It's all about what you cooked and how, to me. Far as forum wide voting, plate on, that is beyond my control.

Nonsense is more than a little harsh but I do appreciate the Rock Star compliment. For the record my photos are done with an IPhone 12 and my schooling on plating 100% started here and remains a combo of here, the Food Channel and internet food prob lol. Zero schooling lol. Yea for sure it’s a hobby to me but it’s because Chile, Chef Jimmy, Disco and others blew me away with their presentations here on this forum. I said “self I gotta learn to do that!!” I just started to mimic and try. There are tons of guys on here doing magazine quality stuff and 99.9% are shooting the pics with a phone. Frankly I quit entering because I got tired of the thinly veiled complaining by a few folks if someone won with a nice restaurant quality pic. Overall it’s why I suggested tiers for the contests as I do understand that plating and pics are of little interest to some.

Last edited:
Nonsense is more than a little harsh. For the record my photos are done with an IPhone 12 and my schooling on plating 100% started here and remains a combo of here, the Food Channel and internet food prob lol. Zero schooling lol. Yea for sure it’s a hobby to me but it’s because Chile, Chef Jimmy, Disco and others blew me away with their presentations here on this forum. I said “self I gotta learn to do that!!” I just started to mimic and try. There are tons of guys on here doing magazine quality stuff and 99.9% are shorting the pics with a phone. Frankly I quit entering because I got tired of the thinly veiled complaining by a few folks if someone won with a nice restaurant quality pic. Overall it’s why I suggested tiers for the contests as I do understand that plating and pics are of little interest to some.
Jeff you do a great job. I hope you will enter this throwdown! Nothing will change with forum wide voting. So make a bomb meal and take some bomb pics. Throwdowns are for everyone!

Jeff you do a great job. I hope you will enter this throwdown! Nothing will change with forum wide voting. So make a bomb meal and take some bomb pics. Throwdowns are for everyone!
Appreciate it Jake. I enjoy entering but honesty I’m just as happy to post an example entry and judge as I did on one with Brian last year too.

Nonsense is more than a little harsh but I do appreciate the Rock Star compliment. For the record my photos are done with an IPhone 12 and my schooling on plating 100% started here and remains a combo of here, the Food Channel and internet food prob lol. Zero schooling lol. Yea for sure it’s a hobby to me but it’s because Chile, Chef Jimmy, Disco and others blew me away with their presentations here on this forum. I said “self I gotta learn to do that!!” I just started to mimic and try. There are tons of guys on here doing magazine quality stuff and 99.9% are shooting the pics with a phone. Frankly I quit entering because I got tired of the thinly veiled complaining by a few folks if someone won with a nice restaurant quality pic. Overall it’s why I suggested tiers for the contests as I do understand that plating and pics are of little interest to some.
Agreed, Nonsense is a bit harsh, I understand the other side somewhat, but plating and pictures take very little time and no training. I’m not saying I have pictures that are top notch, but I take pride and enjoyment when I spend a few minutes to plate food so it looks pleasant. Especially if I feel the image captures the effort. It’s all digital now with auto focus, level playing field. That being said, I enjoy photos and efforts of all entries and threads, I don’t expect magazine quality and I’d never judge somebodies skills based on plating. I’m not sure why I should feel like my life is less busy, that I love my family less, or I’m a stuck up Wanna be Reality Chef because I like putting 5 minutes extra into a plated photo.

Reactions: jcam222
Agreed, Nonsense is a bit harsh, I understand the other side somewhat, but plating and pictures take very little time and no training. I’m not saying I have pictures that are top notch, but I take pride and enjoyment when I spend a few minutes to plate food so it looks pleasant. Especially if I feel the image captures the effort. It’s all digital now with auto focus, level playing field. That being said, I enjoy photos and efforts of all entries and threads, I don’t expect magazine quality and I’d never judge somebodies skills based on plating. I’m not sure why I should feel like my life is less busy, that I love my family less, or I’m a stuck up Wanna be Reality Chef because I like putting 5 minutes extra into a plated photo.
Your pics are excellent Jed and reflective of the killer meals you cook.

Reactions: bauchjw
Don’t take nonsense out of context Jeff. Don’t walk on me about that. The nonsense is the flash and bang that most members cannot play with. We cannot roll this as a prime time tv show on presentations, if so , that’s fine, but you will have maybe 5-10% of members participate.

Hardly inclusive.

• Haha
Reactions: DougE and chopsaw
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky