2023 Throwdowns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If gmc2003 gmc2003 is involved, I see a beer pole throw down coming...lol
1673616170781.png

As has been discussed before with online contests the visual aspect simply is an important part of submissions. There is simply no logical war around that. It’s also been mentioned that many can be intimidated by that so don’t enter. Heck I remember feeling exactly like that when I first joined. My burger entry was tasty but my pics were light years away from some of the seasoned vets. Suggestion - Have two entry tiers for the Throwdown. Tier 1 - Entrants who have not had a previous Throwdown win and Tier 2 - Any entrants who have won a prior Throwdown. I think this would help alleviate some of the concerns and intimidation. Number of prizes would go up but frankly I’m sure there are plenty of us who would donate items to the prize pools. Thoughts?

Likely going to be an unpopular opinion but it is what it is...

If you are going to have a contest, have a contest... Those that feel they "aren't good enough" to enter should be motivated to up their skills. When I started doing these online things.. I had zero skills with a camera, but I learned.. just like I learned to make food better and more presentable. We shouldn't be giving out participation trophies just to make everyone happy.

Look on the home page right now.. there are possibly 3 threads about actual smoking meats. The rest (including this thread) are off topic. The reason there are so many topics here is because people realize that there's more to food than just the smoker.

I own multiple smokers, but I also own a gas grill, a charcoal grill, an oven, a microwave oven, an air fryer, multiple crockpots, roasting pans and on and on. There's a multitude of people here who make sausages and cure meats and make their own cheeses. It's a community and creativity and being outlandish should not be stifled.

I’m not suggesting some, even most don’t require it. When you think themed though like Mexican, Italian, Super Bowl, Soup and Griddle as examples those should be broad and inclusive of all potential entrants.
I totally agree here. I dont have some of the skills or tools as some folks on here. But if there was a broad category like these I might be inclined to join.

Jim

Reactions: jcam222
I was thinking of starting up this one in the Curing forum, but it would probably be better here. This solely relies on seasonings, so you can get 100% participation from everyone who wants to play. You could do a series of 4-6 week challenges, each with a different blend, and see what people came up with.

1673621488025.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Also maybe plan 3 contests ahead of time with dates, that way people can plan and order in ingredient's etc..in ahead of time. Especially a contest that is near any holiday.
100% this. I've often seen the entries before I knew there was even a challenge. Or seen the challenge just a few days before the deadline.
Knowing a month or two in advance would really help me.

I'm also in the "it should be smoked" camp.
I often smoke a lot at one time and have left overs. I'd like some leftovers themed challenges.

First I'll say thank you to all of you who take your time to plan these things and put things like this all together.

My .02 is echoing has been said, keep it simple, think about what's coming up, like a Super Bowl spread, or pick a meat of the month, do a beef or pork or chicken throw down, Cook it how you want,

Congrats to all the throwdown winners and thanks to you who have taken up this challenge making these throwdowns happen. I love to see them and look at how people's minds work. There are some really talented cooks on here but I am not one of them. Not everyone is given the same talents and practice doesn't always make perfect

As has been discussed before with online contests the visual aspect simply is an important part of submissions. There is simply no logical war around that. It’s also been mentioned that many can be intimidated by that so don’t enter. Heck I remember feeling exactly like that when I first joined. My burger entry was tasty but my pics were light years away from some of the seasoned vets. Suggestion - Have two entry tiers for the Throwdown. Tier 1 - Entrants who have not had a previous Throwdown win and Tier 2 - Any entrants who have won a prior Throwdown. I think this would help alleviate some of the concerns and intimidation. Number of prizes would go up but frankly I’m sure there are plenty of us who would donate items to the prize pools. Thoughts?
Well Jeff, you keep practicing and pretty soon you'll have your picture taking down pat! :emoji_blush:
I'm just kidding! We all know you take excellent pics!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
I agree the picture is a huge part of an entry, but it doesn't always represent the whole story. A lot of work goes into the entries and that can easily go un-noticed without some type of description. I've seen entries that I would have voted for if I knew the work that went into making it.

Chris

I haven't read through all the replies yet, but I appreciate all the input. Keep 'em coming.

I agree the picture is a huge part of an entry, but it doesn't always represent the whole story. A lot of work goes into the entries and that can easily go un-noticed without some type of description. I've seen entries that I would have voted for if I knew the work that went into making it.

Chris
100% a tantalizing description and story is key too. People put a lot of work into those descriptions on menus for example. Key words to help you taste it in your mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky