2019 Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abetheham

Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Michigan
On Friday, I mixed and stuffed 50 lbs of venison summer sausage with jalapeños, cheddar, and habanero cheese. Also did a 25 lbs plain batch for my wife and kids since they don’t like spice. I get my seasoning from a local butcher shop and for the spicy batch, I add minced garlic, cayenne, cracked red pepper, mustard seeds, cheddar high temp cheese, habanero high temp cheese, jalapeños, and jalapeño juice. For the plain batch, I just add mustard seed. On Saturday, I smoked all of it in my pellet smoker and my old Smoke Hollow. That SH is still my best summer sausage smoker. It can hold so much meat and hold its temp. Smoked til 160 degrees and put in an ice bath and then hung up to bloom for 4+ hours. Then vac sealed for the freezer. I should be set for the year now! I wish I would’ve taken more than one picture, but here’s the finished product.
2777BFB5-C627-4E8B-9E47-B51EF048CFD8.jpeg

I like my Copperhead a lot. But I can only do 25 lbs of summer sausage in it at a time at the most. Which is surprising since it handled 50 lbs of pork butts no problem. If I try to do more sausage than that, it takes a long time to get done. On both my smokers, I smoke at 200 degrees until 160 degrees. Usually takes about 6 hours.

I cook mine in a Bradley, and I don't get more than 25# either. Here's my cook cycle:
COOK CYCLE:

SUMMER SAUSAGE-CHUCKS.jpg
SUMMER SAUSAGE-CHUCKS.jpg SUMMER SAUSAGE-CHUCKS.jpg
SUMMER SAUSAGE-CHUCKS.jpg TIME (Min) TEMPERATURE HUMIDITY DAMPER SMOKER

30 Drying Time

120 125 0 Open Off

120 125 0 ¼ Open On

120 145 100 ¾ Closed On

* 165 100 ¾ Closed Off (Until internal temp is reached)

At the end of the cycle, cold water shower to an Internal Temperature of 110 degrees. Leave at room temperature for one hour, and then move to the cooler. Hold overnight, then package.

On Friday, I mixed and stuffed 50 lbs of venison summer sausage with jalapeños, cheddar, and habanero cheese. Also did a 25 lbs plain batch for my wife and kids since they don’t like spice. I get my seasoning from a local butcher shop and for the spicy batch, I add minced garlic, cayenne, cracked red pepper, mustard seeds, cheddar high temp cheese, habanero high temp cheese, jalapeños, and jalapeño juice. For the plain batch, I just add mustard seed. On Saturday, I smoked all of it in my pellet smoker and my old Smoke Hollow. That SH is still my best summer sausage smoker. It can hold so much meat and hold its temp. Smoked til 160 degrees and put in an ice bath and then hung up to bloom for 4+ hours. Then vac sealed for the freezer. I should be set for the year now! I wish I would’ve taken more than one picture, but here’s the finished product.
View attachment 410211
Hi there and welcome!

Man that looks good, nice work! :)

View attachment 410211
Would you care to share your receipt with us? Really like the spicy side of the ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky