2016 Christmas Gift Cheese - Aged - Smoked - Waxed

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by mr t 59874, Apr 29, 2016.

1. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Mr. T’s 2016 Christmas Gift Cheese - Aged – Smoked - Waxed

Included in this year’s gift cheeses are five pounds of 6-year-old Tillamook Medium Cheddar and two pounds of 9-year-old Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Some left unsmoked the rest received 18 hours of a very light cob smoke before waxing. The following was the process.

Selected cheese

The corn cob pellets used in a tray type smoke generator were a combination of whole and broken pellets. An earlier test made on fresh cheese determined the color/taste desired which took 20 hours of smoke.

6-year-old Tillamook Medium Cheddar

9 - year- old Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar

Residual liquid from each package, 7 tsp. from the 5 # of medium cheddar, 4 tsp. from the 2 # of extra sharp. Note the extra oil/fat in the whey of the extra sharp. This is a natural occurrence especially when aging cheddar cheese and nothing to be concerned over.

Six hours into the smoke, could not help the reflections.

Sixteen hours into the smoke, note the color and density of the smoke.

Wax used

Cheese ready for dipping. You can see the difference between the non-smoked and smoked cheese. The cheese went directly from smoker to the waxing table.

First dip in 220° - 225° wax to kill bacteria and prevent molding. The subsequent two dips are at 160° for secure seal.

After second dip, identifiers are applied to still hot wax.

After third dip, the cheese is ready for continued aging.

Note: Test results after removing from smoker were the Medium was now Extra Sharp with a good smoke flavor. The Extra Sharp was sharp yet surprisingly mellow with a good smoke flavor. The extra sharp had to be cut carefully as it was brittle and wanted to break, it will be good used as grated or chunked cheese.

Related Threads:    My Cold Smoking Options w/Q - View  -  Mr T's "Smoked Cheese From Go To Show" w/ Q- View

Tom

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job Tom!

The cheese looks fantastic!

I really like the waxing part, it looks so professional!

Points for sure!!

Al

3. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

That is awesome! Beyond the results I'm impressed you can keep any cheese around that long! I read one of your threads on waxing before and look forward to trying it out. Great view in the reflection and. . . How does one get on your gift list!

4. Lookin' great!!!!

I recently received 9lbs(2 wheels) of Kerrygold's black wax cheddar I need to find something to do with...

Hmmmmmmm... [​IMG]  

Might just have to order a new toy so I can cold smoke in my WSM... [​IMG]

So how do we get on Santa's 2016 delivery list? [​IMG]  

5. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Tom,,, You have done it again!! Great post sir.  I will need to get into the waxing part of it next. [​IMG]

DS

6. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nicely done, as always, Tom!!! I'm not in a position for doing any smoked cheese at present, but I'll be looking for wax before I start. Gotta get the cheese stash rebuilt first, though.

As mentioned, that's a long time to keep cheese around, but then I still have kids around from time to time, and grand-kids. I'll need to set up a nice little cheese-cave in the very near future, so as to keep the goods in a stealthy manner and prevent prying eyes from viewing...leading to consumption of the sacred stash...LOL!!!

Thanks for sharing another round of great smoke!!!

Eric

7. david86

david86 Newbie

Looks awesome! I sure would love to be on that Christmas gift list!

8. setesh

setesh Fire Starter

Thanks Tom, excellent write up!  I think the waxing makes a really pretty product and will make excellent gifts for your friends and family!

9. mr t 59874

Thank you everyone for the points and kind words. Had some eventual recipients drop by last evening. Thier eyes lit up when they saw the cheese on the table.

To the ones wanting be on the list, marry my sister.  [​IMG]

T

10. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

The worlds first cheese dowry. . . , maybe besides Kraft!
    Also, I forgot to add before, Points for being awesome!

11. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

Awesome, sir! I've been coating with evol & vacuum packing and thought that was good. Now I have to add a "waxing table" to the wish list (which already includes a slicer and sausage mixer). I guess I'm going to have to be a VERY good boy this year...

Dan

:points:

12. bdc3

bdc3 Smoke Blower

Wow very impressive. I have to try this some time. I guess it's best to cold smoke in the cooler weather of winter here in the south? I want to make a plan to try this late fall. Is the wax a special wax for cheese? Where do you find it?
    BC

13. mr t 59874

Thank you.  [​IMG]
    Thank you. Can one ever have too much?  Things should be getting busy at the track.
    Yes, it is a special wax. Due to rules, [​IMG]  I can't post where to get it. Sometime when you aren't on the forum, you might try Googling "Cheese wax". I get mine from a place in Mass. 

Good luck and have fun.

T

14. Tom,

Great Post As Always, [​IMG]

Tom

15. Tom,

Great Post As Always, [​IMG]

Tom

16. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great thread Tom, very informative ! Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna have to look up on that wax & try it ! Thumbs Up

17. mr t 59874

Thank you. Yes, give it a try. You will find that cheese will age much better then when vac sealed.

T

18. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking cheese. I wish I was on your Christmas list.

Points.

Disco

19. mr t 59874

Thanks, Big D. Hope all is well.

T

20. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If things were going any better I'd be on a drug test!