2015 UK SMF BBQ Weekend roll call - 1st and 2nd August

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wade

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 12, 2013
Kent, UK
The BBQ weekend will soon be upon us and is being held at Woodhall Country Park on the Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd of August - with some people arriving on Friday 31st July. To help us cater for the expected numbers we are requesting that people let us know whether they are planning on attending in this thread. 
  • Are you planning on attending the weekend? (yes/know/maybe)
  • How many of you will be attending?
  • When are you expecting to arrive? (Friday/Saturday)
  • Have you booked accommodation or a pitch on the site? (yes/no) - If No - do you need a pitch reserved?
  • If you would like to cook but cannot bring your own BBQ equipment would you like some to be provided on the Saturday? (yes/no) - Please give details
  • Will you require the use of refrigerated storage? (yes/no)
  • Is anyone in your party a vegetarian? (yes/no)
  • Are you allergic to Texans? (yes/no)
If you can give us a definite answer then that is great but if there is a possibility/probability that you can attend then please let us know too.

If you are planning on cooking on the day, bring pre-prepared food or provide a side dish, then please let Steve know on the Web site http://www.uk-smf.co.uk/Index.html. This is just a guide, and if you see something on there already that you really want to bring/cook then please don't hesitate to put it down again. Closer to the day we will review the menu and we can be flexible and can adapt.

If you or any of your party have special dietary needs or are allergic to specific foods then please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate these.

There is no cost for attending the event - other than your own accommodation. Any food brought is donated by members, as is the equipment used on the day. It is always helpful though for members to try to bring as much equipment as they think they will need - or to let us know in advance if they would like it provided. 

The weekend is NOT A COMPETITION and we want to ensure that it remains that way. If you would like to try to cook something new on the day and it does not work out then do not worry. It is rare that things are completely un-salvageable and there will be plenty of help on hand - from reading the forum you will have already realised just how many BBQ back-seat-drivers there are 
biggrin.gif

If you think you may be able to attend but at the last minute you find that you cannot, or you have to change the time or number of people attending, we will completely understand. All we ask is that you give us as much notice of the change as you can.

Todd (from Amazen Products) has also sent us a selection of goodies to give away to members and partners at the event - and these have been added to by other UK Smokers group members. It is therefore possible that you could go home with more than you arrived with. And No - they are not all BBQ related - so your partners and friends could get something that will be of interest to them too.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you there as can make it. It is always good to put a face to an avatar 
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Wade
  • Are you planning on attending the weekend? (yes)
  • How many of you will be attending? (2)
  • When are you expecting to arrive? (Friday)
  • Have you booked accommodation or a pitch on the site? (yes)
  • If you would like to cook but cannot bring your own BBQ equipment would you like some to be provided on the Saturday? (no
  • Will you require the use of refrigerated storage? (yes)
  • Is anyone in your party a vegetarian? (no)
  • Are you allergic to Texans? (Have been inoculated)

Are you planning on attending the weekend? (yes/know/maybe)

Yes
How many of you will be attending?

When are you expecting to arrive? (Friday/Saturday)

Friday

Have you booked accommodation or a pitch on the site? (yes/no) - If No - do you need a pitch reserved?

Booked

If you would like to cook but cannot bring your own BBQ equipment would you like some to be provided on the Saturday? (yes/no) - Please give details

I am OK for equipment

Will you require the use of refrigerated storage? (yes/no)

Yes

Is anyone in your party a vegetarian? (yes/no)

No

Are you allergic to Texans? (yes/no)

YES!!!!! especially ones that look like this!!!

Smokin Monkey

Last edited:
  • Are you planning on attending the weekend? (yes/know/maybe)  "Yes"
  • How many of you will be attending?  "2"
  • When are you expecting to arrive? (Friday/Saturday)  Wed.-Thur.
  • Have you booked accommodation or a pitch on the site? (yes/no) - If No - do you need a pitch reserved?  "Booked"
  • If you would like to cook but cannot bring your own BBQ equipment would you like some to be provided on the Saturday? (yes/no) - Please give details  "Am Good"
  • Will you require the use of refrigerated storage? (yes/no)  "yes"
  • Is anyone in your party a vegetarian? (yes/no)  " I don't understand the question.  I don't speak foreign languages, A What??
  • Are you allergic to Texans? (yes/no)  "I resemble that remark!"  "I think they are very fine folks.  Although I couldn't eat a whole one by myself"!
I am GUILTY!  I have not posted my menu.  We NEED to know numbers.  We NEED to know who is bringing what.  Can't have every one bringing chicken and a green salad.

How much meat?  How many sides?  We need tables.  We need gazebos in case of rain.  Plates, cutlery. serving dishes, serving spoons; even if all is disposable. For those cooking we need to plan.  There are no "fees" for belonging to the Group AND no charge for coming to this "feast".  This is a potluck meal.  Our members provide ALL the food for the "feast".  We have a "core" group of members who try to fill in the "gaps".  We DO have "walk ins" of interested campers and we MAY have U.K. members who just plan a day trip.  All are welcome!.  The problem lies when we plan for 25 people and 50 show up; NOW!  WE HAVE A PROBLEM!  If this was your back garden BBQ party or a dinner party and no one confirmed they were coming; how do prepare?

Help us out folks!  PLEASE!  We want to make this an annual event and attract as many U.K. smokers as possible.  We want to share experience, knowledge and recipes.  We will even smoke something "special" if you want to learn how to do it.  Come on folks!  Get yourself to the weekend and let us know you are coming!  WE WANT YOU THERE!

Keep Smokin!

Danny

Yes

Two

Friday
  • Have you booked accommodation or a pitch on the site? (yes/no) - If No - do you need a pitch reserved?

Pitch booked
  • If you would like to cook but cannot bring your own BBQ equipment would you like some to be provided on the Saturday? (yes/no) - Please give details

Will bring a ProQ Frontier, small camping table, chairs

Yes - need to keep my beer cold [emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji]

Yes - one but will eat fish

I'm working on it!

Last edited:
Good to have you on board my friend!

You will have a good weekend, put faces to a names (Danny can look frightening but he's OK really) and hopefully learn something new. I asked questions watched and learned a lot last year.

Smokin Monkey

Last edited:

You will have a good weekend, put faces to a names (Danny can look frightening but he's OK really) and hopefully learn something new. I asked questions watched and learned a lot last year.

Smokin Monkey

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've visited several of the states in the deep south, so I'm sure I'll cope with Danny :yahoo:

LOOK AT THIS!!!  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  NOW ya have tha NEW folks takin tha piss!  I get NO respect!!  
icon_biggrin.gif

I am still wondering what this vege whatyamacallit is???  Gonna check Google!  SURELY they have a picture of one on Wiki.  
ROTF.gif

Graeme I am sure is booked.  So that is 10.  Did I read somewhere that Ewann said he will be 3 this year?  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Smokin Monkey

Thank you.

I've been acr
LOOK AT THIS!!!  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  NOW ya have tha NEW folks takin tha piss!  I get NO respect!!  :icon_biggrin:

I am still wondering what this vege whatyamacallit is???  Gonna check Google!  SURELY they have a picture of one on Wiki.  :ROTF

Graeme I am sure is booked.  So that is 10.  Did I read somewhere that Ewann said he will be 3 this year?  Keep Smokin!
Danny

I would have you know I would never take the piss. The last Texas I knew couldn't even understand me. I met him in Nashville and we had a translator :yahoo:

Thank you.

I've been acr
I would have you know I would never take the piss. The last Texas I knew couldn't even understand me. I met him in Nashville and we had a translator
yahoo.gif
Most carry big guns and wear big hats !!!. Road Rage is something slightly different out there and I have seen a few trucks that had been given additional "Texas air conditioning". The sadest thing is that they also don't understand our sense of humour... 

Wade.  I haven't worn my big hat in a while!  I do still have it.  We don't talk about guns here in the U.K.!  There ARE no hand guns in the U.K..  They are illegal.  No one gets shot here.  That's "official".  NO!  I don't "get" Fawlty Towers".  
icon_biggrin.gif

Danny

Hello.  Well there is another MYTH.  "Americans LOVE royalty".  Americans "LOVE" the history.  Everyone I knew back in the States thought the "Royal Family" was a drain on the payroll.  They have a certain "value" for tourist purposes but;  HOW MUCH DO THEY GET PER YEAR??  Are you SERIOUS??  For a tourist attraction??  And who ACTUALLY gets to SEE tha Queen?  The Palace yes; but tha Queen??  YES! I have seen her.  Ho Hum!  Like seeing a U.S. President. Was a nice thing but would I PAY for the privilege?  AH!      NO!!

Well!  There I go again!  Foot FIRMLY inserted in mouth!  
icon_biggrin.gif

Danny

Reactions: resurrected

Yes

Just Me

Friday,  All going well

Log thingy  booked
  • If you would like to cook but cannot bring your own BBQ equipment would you like some to be provided on the Saturday? (yes/no) - Please give details:

Danny is kindly lending me a Webber, and I will bring a small camping table, chairs.

Yes Please

Definitely Not

I will get back to you on that, but seeing danny is lending me his Webber & he owe's me money I will say no

Point taken and noted.  Well said.  Not the forum for that.

Danny
We can have a good chat about Madame Guillotine and the royals over the weekend [emoji]128520[/emoji][emoji]128520[/emoji][emoji]128521[/emoji][emoji]128520[/emoji][emoji]128520[/emoji]
Like you said, it's not for the forum, and in the current climate I think it is in bad taste.

Last edited:

Like you said, it's not for the forum, and in the current climate I think it is in bad taste.
Oh for crying out loud, when I first read your post my first thought was to apologise. But why? I am fully aware what you are referring to (I think the French incident). My post (said in jest, I have an very awful sense of humour - it comes of working for years in the emergency services) was posted prior to me seeing the news with regard to a decapitation. That said it bares no reference to the French crime and was never meant to. If you perceive it that way its down to the joys of political correctness and all its faults.

For your information, I as a person am totally against the death sentence for any crime and would argue against it with any one - as I say my comment re Madame Gulliotine was a joke!!!

May be I should cancel my reservation for the smoking weekend if everyone is so easily offended or may be you all think I'm not one to fit in.

I'm easy guys and never one to deliberately offend. So just let me know, I've only paid a deposit, I can well afford to lose it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky