2015 Christmas Gift Cheese - Aged - Smoked - Waxed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr t 59874

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 9, 2011
Trout Creek, Montana
                                         Mr. T's  Christmas 2015 Gift Cheese

3.5-year-old Cheddar

It took 20 hours of light white smoke to reach the desired color. Used 2 pounds of Pitmaster pellets with AMNPS 

in a remote iron stove 8 feet away.  Highest temperature reached during smoke, 68.5°.

20 hours of smoke compared to non-smoked.  The streaks in the cheese were caused by the

1/4 cup of moisture that leached from the aging cheese while in it's original packaging.

Pie pan used for dipping.

First coat of wax applied at 240° to deter mold growth.  Additional two coats applied at 160°.

Info tags applied to still wet second coat.

After three coats of wax, it is now ready for further aging or until the Holidays.

Note:  The cheese rested overnight before waxing.  A taste test revealed a very mild non-bitter taste.

I cannot over-emphasize the importance of using a remote smoke generator in order to cool and clean the

smoke prior to it's coming into contact with the cheese. It eliminates much if not all of any bitter taste.

Related Threads:  My Cold Smoking Options w/Q - View

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123130/mr-ts-smoked-cheese-from-go-to-show-w-q-view

Tom

Last edited:
Tom,

Thanks for the idea and the info. I think I understand using the 4 year old cheese. Did you do anything to the original packaging while it aged?

Did you just keep it cool in a dark place? Once again thanks Jted

Last edited:
That looks great. I hope one of those blocks has my name on it[emoji]128521[/emoji]
You never know what Santa might have in his bag.

T
Looks great Tom. My God, everyone is smoking cheese today and it all looks so good! I'm drooling here! Thanks for posting, David.
Thank you and your welcome.

T

WOW That looks great I always do like 3hrs of smoke,  would this be like a mailbox contraption 8ft away?? I will have to give it a try

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

Tom,

Thanks for the idea and the info. I think I understand using the 4 year old cheese. Did you do anything to the original packaging while it aged?

Did you just keep it cool in a dark place? Once again thanks Jted
jted, your welcome.  There are two mindsets when aging cheese such as this. One is to age in the original packaging, the other is to wax, I do both.  If aging in the original packaging keep an eye on it for mold formation.  Sadly some packaging is better than the other. If mold is detected, remove the mold and vac seal or wax.

Hard cheeses may be kept at 70° or less.  I have found the warmer the cheese the faster it ages.  For example, the above cheese was kept on the kitchen counter for over a month before all the stars aligned for the smoke and wax.  Normally for convenience purposes, the hard cheeses are kept in a cupboard in the garage, which is heated to 50° during the winter.  When the weather begins to warm, it  is then placed in the reach in cooler at ± 35° where it is kept until Fall.

Hope this answered your questions,

Tom

WOW That looks great I always do like 3hrs of smoke,  would this be like a mailbox contraption 8ft away?? I will have to give it a try

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS
Thanks, DS,  

Mailbox contraption?  Mine is a piece of rare art.  
icon_biggrin.gif
   In addition to below.    My Cold Smoking Options w/Q - View

AMNPS inside stove

Keep us up to date.  If I can help, please ask.

Tom

That's some great looking cheese, Tom. Very nice job, and a nice and thoughtful Christmas gift as well.

I agree with you about using a remote setup with some distance between the smoke generator and collector, and admire your setup. It sure is superior to my "Ghetto Cold Smoker" that I occasionally use - Cookshack electric smoker + a 8 ft. flexible aluminum duct + a large cardboard shipping box with strategically cut holes for smoke input and exhaust. The connections are secured, obviously, with duct tape. It works pretty good, but I like your setup much better.

That's some great looking cheese, Tom. Very nice job, and a nice and thoughtful Christmas gift as well.

I agree with you about using a remote setup with some distance between the smoke generator and collector, and admire your setup. It sure is superior to my "Ghetto Cold Smoker" that I occasionally use - Cookshack electric smoker + a 8 ft. flexible aluminum duct + a large cardboard shipping box with strategically cut holes for smoke input and exhaust. The connections are secured, obviously, with duct tape. It works pretty good, but I like your setup much better.
Thanks dls,  when it takes four years for the cheese to reach this point, I don't want to rush putting  the smoke on, of course the wax makes for a good presentation also.  Santa assures me that, only the ones who appreciated extra sharp cheese, smoked or plain, will be getting this.

Obviously you appreciate the advantage of a long run between the smoke generator and the collector.  The much cleaner smoke greatly reduces the need for a waiting period when smoking products such as cheese.  Although a waiting period is still needed for smoke equalization, the bitter surface is practically eliminated, allowing for immediate consumption.

There are times when you just have to use what is available in order to come up with a cold smoker. As you, I've been through a lot of cardboard boxes in my time. Expense is up to the user. 

The advantage of the cast iron stove is, it does a wonderful job acting as a heat sink. It absorbs a large amount of  heat generated by any smoke generator before the smoke gets to the stovepipe beginning its 8 ft. run to the collector, where it is cooled further. This action deposits much of the bitter material that would normally be on the product to the walls of the stove and pipe making what I call a clean and smooth smoke.

Tom

That wax really makes it look impressive and thats some great lookin cheese. Also, 20 hrs in the smoke! Must REALLY make a difference how far away the smoke generator is from the cheese. I do mine in my WSM and only smoke it for 4 hrs right now.

Always enjoy your threads.

Thanks dls,  when it takes four years for the cheese to reach this point, I don't want to rush putting  the smoke on, of course the wax makes for a good presentation also.  Santa assures me that, only the ones who appreciated extra sharp cheese, smoked or plain, will be getting this.

Obviously you appreciate the advantage of a long run between the smoke generator and the collector.  The much cleaner smoke greatly reduces the need for a waiting period when smoking products such as cheese.  Although a waiting period is still needed for smoke equalization, the bitter surface is practically eliminated, allowing for immediate consumption.

There are times when you just have to use what is available in order to come up with a cold smoker. As you, I've been through a lot of cardboard boxes in my time. Expense is up to the user. 

The advantage of the cast iron stove is, it does a wonderful job acting as a heat sink. It absorbs a large amount of  heat generated by any smoke generator before the smoke gets to the stovepipe beginning its 8 ft. run to the collector, where it is cooled further. This action deposits much of the bitter material that would normally be on the product to the walls of the stove and pipe making what I call a clean and smooth smoke.

Tom
got it now,,, great post again thanks I will try the longer run from the amps to the MES Smoker - Thanks Tom

Tom,

as always looks great!!

waxing using the pie pan definitely would help with some of my dripping issues from full submersion and then resting on a raised screen waiting for the next coat.

Tom
Thanks.

Believe me, I tried it all.  This seems to be the easiest for me.  Although waxing is time-consuming, it gives me a chance to be closer to the cheese. 

Tom

Mr T is smoking 3 lb blocks of cheese. I smoke 4 oz blocks for 2 . 5 hrs. That is the reason for the long smokes. You can buy 4 yo aged black diamond cheese at sams club . It is so sharp it's almost sour. smoke it in 4 oz blocks for 2.5 hrs.  The reason i do 4 oz blocks is you can eat 4 oz in 1 sitting,, also i sell cheese and 4 oz of regular smoked cheese is $3.50 . 4 oz of the 4 yo is $7.00

Last edited:

Mr T is smoking 3 lb blocks of cheese.                 also i sell cheese and 4 oz of regular smoked cheese is $3.50 . 4 oz of the 4 yo is $7.00
Small correction.  This was a 5# block cut into eights prior to smoking.  After waxing each smaller block weighs between 10.5 & 12 ounces. 

Thanks for the interesting info eman.

Example:

Wow, at $1.75 an ounce, I better put a lock on my cooler.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky