2014 Indiana State Fair Backyard BBQ Comp.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nightrod06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Anyone participating in the State Fair BBQ Competition this year?

Never competed before and this is going to be a great event to get my feet wet. Saturday August 9th.

I didn't even know that we had that at the fair.  I might be up for if, or come along as a back up helper.  Have any details of the cook off?

Only thing that I see that would be an issue is no electric, so pellet ugly drum is out but the mini is in.  I didn't read anything about no gas, did you? 

7. All categories must be cooked on wood, charcoal, gas grill or a smoker

It looks like gas is permitted by #7 in the terms and conditions.

I am definitely going to consider entering, have any of you used Shoup's rubs or sauces?

Since I will be using a stick burner my biggest issue is going to be space. 15x15 booth space is provided and my smoker is 12x6 at the very least. After you add tables, coolers, etc, its going to be cramped. Thats also assuming we can cook at the meats on one smoker and not need a charcoal grill, etc. I emailed the lady in charge last week and she said additional space could be purchased for $15/ft.

I have not used Shoups seasonings  but I think you can buy them at local grocery stores.

So did any of you guys sign up?

I signed up online 2 weeks ago. All I got was a confirmation email so far.

Should be a good time.

Third place in pork loin.

First place in the open category. We made smoked cream corn.
Creamed corn

We got 5th place overall out of 24 teams. Had a great time, everyone was friendly and Shoups did a great job organizing everything. Anyone who wants to get their feet wet with a competition this would be a great opportunity.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky