2011 MES 40 VS 2012 MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

utah smoker

Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Bountiful Utah
There are a few comments in various threads about the pro's and cons but I couldn't find all the answers in one place. I have the new 2012 smoker on order from Amazon. It is back ordered. So I called Masterbuilt to see if they had an ETA on when Amazon would get more in. I was told it would be about 2 weeks. I am anxious to get my smoke on. So I checked with the local Sam's Clubs and I found last years model on sale for $299.99 plus 6.75% tax.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1180971&navAction=
So the 2011 Model out the door about $320.00
2012 Model shipped $360.82

I know the 2012 MBS has a new vent position and front drip tray access along with a "blue" display and brighter LED interior lighting and a right handed door access.

I have read the 2011 MBS model has some issues with inconsistent temperature readings and hot spots?

Is there anyone on this forum that has both models? From what I have read the consensus is that most everyone that has the 2011 MBS model seems to be pleased with what they have. Add the Amaze N Pellet Smoker and you are in business.

So I ask you fellow SMF members, if you were in my shoes would you wait the two weeks and get the latest model? Or would you satisfy the "I need it now inner voice" and buy last years model today?

Does anyone know if the Sam's club model comes with any extras? Cover?

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate all your opinions and feedback.

Last edited:
i am interested to see what experienced electric smoker people say! I will own one before years end and am getting educated by the SMF! This site/forum, has re-ignited a long-held passion of mine...Good Luck...

I picked up the 2012 MES40 last week at Bass Pro.  Got it seasoned, and did a light smoke on some pork chops (Finished them on the grill to get some good marks).  Tasted great.  Today I am smoking two 10 pond pork butts for pulled pork.  I noticed a lot of water beading up on the window.  I emptied the water pan and it seems to be better.

I am using the chip tray (Still need to order the AMNPS).  Makes for adding chips about every 30 - 45 minutes.  I'll get some pictures when I'm done and will post to a new thread later.

Smoked a 4 pound slab of Bologna and two 10 pound pork butts. Bologna was good - Pork Sucked.  14 hours and it was hitting 200.  Tried to pull it - it was like racking concerte. Not sure what happened. The only thing I did different (Been doing it the same way for 30 years) was I used my new MES40 (Have always used an offset vertical smoker with wood).  Wife eat the pork, I ate the bologna....  Any ideas?

I'm in the same boat. I want to place an order in the next day or so and don't know what model to get. I have the MES 30" analog with amnps so I'm in o huge hurry but would like to know the pros and cons of each. Thanks in advance.​

I just smoked some salmon yesterday in the new MES 40. I will have to say it did a great job. Very even cooked on the top rack for sure.

Here is the negatives:

1) The meat temp probe is off about 10 degrees on the high side. Verified with my Primos remote temp guage. Can't say what the older model did.

2) As far as the remote. Two things. There is no lighted numbers or anything to see the readout better. Second, you have to push the "Meat Thermometer" button to get the both probe temps. And it flashes really quick. So the only temp displayed is the setting temp when started. Very dissapointed with it.

3) Probe temp 10 to 15 degrees higher than remote temp on top rack. I am not concerned with this. Mostly cook on top two racks anyways.

Here are the positives"

1) The AMNPS smokes like a king....Great smoke and I think it might be too much. I had heavy smoke for 3 hours on one row of pellets.....Could not control a TBS. Maybe the vent porition had something to do with it. I had it fully open and the chip tube and tray removed.

2) I love the bigger cabinet space...IMy old MES 30 was way too small. Cooks a whole rack of ribs perfectly in one rack.

3) The remote has great range. So much farther than my Primo remote. I can now sit my office and monitor the temps.

4) Save your box and use it to cover the smoker. Perfect fit.....

The AMNPS smokes like a king...Great smoke and I think it might be too much. I had heavy smoke for 3 hours on one row of pellets....Could not control a TBS. Maybe the vent position had something to do with it....I had it fully open and the chip tube and tray removed.
I would guess that completely removing the chip tray and feeder tube may cause too much draft which in turn causes the pellets to burn too fast. I get a nice TBS when I pull out the chip tray and the feeder tube out only 1 inch or so. I do leave the vent on top fully open. If you find that the pellets still burn too fast after making these changes, you may also want to move the AMNPS further from the heating element or place a heat shield between the AMNPS and the element.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat... I'm considering a new smoker... electric is high on the list... but is the 2012 model MES worth the extra $100+ over the 2011 for $299 at Sams?

Hence why I said about $100 more... my local sams club has them in stock at $299 (according to website) if I can find a store with display only left, I may be able to get a steal...

Guess what, my 6 year old MES 40, doesn't have a window, doesn't have meat probe, doesn't have wheels, doesn't have 1200 watt element, yet works GREAT!  Mine is a box with a controller and an consistent heat source, that all that is required for great Q, the rest is up to the cook.

Almost every MES owners buys a external temp probe, so the meat probe to have built in or not is a zero issue.  Wheels, honestly why, the dang thing isn't heavy, mine is all stainless inside and out and I can easily carry it.  Location of exhaust, yeah an exhaust is needed, so what?  Light inside, nice I guess, but not needed.  Now almost all MES owners are buying the AWNPS, but hey up until 2 years ago there was no AWNPS, it didn't stop the MES from being as popular as it is today.

So what am I saving, get which ever one is cheaper, and use the savings to buy meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky