20 lb turkey??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
From everything I've read, most people are recommending nothing bigger than a 10-12 lb turkey. Well I'm doing a dry run this weekend and I have 20 bird thawing for brine on Saturday. I have an electric smoker that is incapable of attaining 350, I was thinking of smokin it for an hour or two and then moving it to the oven to finish off. Sound good or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Yeah, I was pondering the same question, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m supposed to smoke a 26 pounder, however my new smoker should do the higher temp. Your idea should probably work, at least you would get some smoke on. I wonder if you can cure turkeys? :roll:

I'm still working on a cure for the hubby, I figure once that's mastered, yard birds should be a piece of cake!

Large birds can be smoked but I would add 1 TBS of TenderQuick to the brine. The TenderQuick will inhibit bacteria growth and make it possible to smoke larger birds.
Jim

I tend to get the smaller ones, abt 12lbs or so. They are easier to work with, and the tough tendons are not as plentiful as a larger bird..... Also, IMHO, the smaller ones tend to be a little more moist and flavorful.

Bill

A split bird will cook faster as you don't have the empty cavity to deal with. Jim is right about adding the tablespoon of Tenderquick to the brine mixture.

use 1oz of tender quick per 1 gal of water and you'll be fine
if possible brine 20 or larger for 48 hrs.

when i have a big bird i will cut off the wings and thighs then bone the breast in one peice then brine all then string or skewer the breast back into shape pulling the skin back over the meat to prevent drying. then when done you can slice paper thin slices just to P.O. the guests

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky