2 Spatchcock Yardbirds on the Rec Tec

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
I did a second cook of yardbirds on Saturday, and this time I left the skin on....

Used a new rub that my wife found on the web called "Smoked Turkey Rub". Which can be found posted here:

I also did an injection marinade:
Beer and Butter Chicken and Turkey Injection Marinade
  • 1/4 lb. butter
  • 6 ounces of beer (We recommend a wheat beer or pale ale, but feel free to experiment here!)
  • 2 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
Allow all of the ingredients to combine in a saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Continue to stir the sauce until all of the salt dissolves and the mixture is thin and even. Let it cool slightly for five minutes. You do not want it to be too hot when you load the injector. But you also do not want the butter to solidify!

I went a bit heavy on the Tabasco sauce, and it came through nicely in the finished product.

Here are the birds ready to put in the smoker
IMG_20200111_124203875.jpg

IMG_20200111_124155224.jpg

A couple of hours into the cook:
IMG_20200111_151740507_HDR.jpg

Sitting out resting:

IMG_20200111_173454799.jpg

And the money shot with a new recipe for cauliflower and what my wife calls a winter salad:
IMG_20200111_175946970.jpg

Cooked the chickens on the Rec Tec @225-235 for about 5 hours to an IT of 165 degrees before pulling them.

The recipe for the cauliflower is:
Smokey Cauliflower

Ingredients
1 large head cauliflower, broken into 1-inch florets (about 9 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions
1. Place cauliflower in a large bowl. Combine the oil, paprika and salt. Drizzle over cauliflower; toss to
coat. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cauliflower is tender and lightly browned, stirring
occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.

The winter salad consists of :
Spring greens
Fresh blue cheese
Dried cranberries
Homemade Rosemary Basil Parmesan croutons
Toasted pecans
And a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

All in all it was extremely good. The chicken was very moist and you could taste a bit of heat from the injection marinade. And the cauliflower side was pretty nice also, and what can I say about the salad....it has been a staple around here for years.

Thanks for Lookin'

John

Damn John those yardbirds look outstanding! The color on those is second to none! The injection sounds great too I will be saving your recipe and trying it next time I do them. My wife enjoys that same salad and thanks for sharing the cauliflower recipe. Points all around here man!!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
All looks great! We do something very similar with cauliflower pretty often. Wife loves the stuff and it’s growing on me over time

Now That's some Tasty Looking Yard Twins!!
Nice Job-Johnny!!
Yuuuummmmm!!
like.

Bear
Thanks Bear for the like and nice comments!

It was good and the leftovers are ziplocked and in the freezer for sammies. :emoji_wink:

Damn John those yardbirds look outstanding! The color on those is second to none! The injection sounds great too I will be saving your recipe and trying it next time I do them. My wife enjoys that same salad and thanks for sharing the cauliflower recipe. Points all around here man!!
Thanks John for the like and kind words.

The injection was really good, I will be doing that again for sure.
Nice looking bird John
Thanks Texomakid for the like and comments.

Have you ever fished Lake Texoma?

Birds look great
Thanks Jake!

John

Those birds look really good to me John. Nice job on those and the veggies.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking birds John. Great job! I have that Rec Tec, but it was called the Mini when I bought it.

Dave
Thanks Dave!

All looks great! We do something very similar with cauliflower pretty often. Wife loves the stuff and it’s growing on me over time
Thanks for the like jcamm....my wife is like that with broccoli, and yes it does grow on you over time, like MOLD! :emoji_laughing:

Beautiful piece of work John! The injection sounds like a Creole one, nice color too. Like, RAY
Thanks for the like Ray and comments!

Yes I really liked the heat from the tabasco...

Beautiful bird, John! Nicely done.
Thanks pushok2018 for the like and kind words!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky