2 dumb questions for ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voldaddy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Okay, I know there's no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people with questions. Here's my 2 for the day:

1.) When smoking ribs, do you put the meat side up or down? I usually put them in the MES meat-side up, bones facing down. It seems like meat-side down would get more smoke on the meat, but would be tougher to spritz with apple juice.

2.) Is there any need to continue adding smoke during the 2 hours in foil of the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods? I usually add 1/2 a hand of chips every 30 minutes while I smoke to keep the TBS.

After you catch your beath from laughing so hard, and have the tears wiped from your eyes and can see your keyboard, and and all responses will be appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Some put them up some down and some in racks. I do mine in racks or meat up if not using racks. Nothing will take smoke in while its foiled so save your chips for those two hours.

PS there are still no Dumb Questions

I usually lay the ribs meat side up... Or if in a rack its on its side. I do not personally think it matters..
As for the smoke I don't see any point of smoking the foil. When wrapped the ribs can't absorb any smoke. I wouldn't worry about adding chips while the ribs are wrapped.

Remember only dumb people don't ask questions... At least you are smart enough to ask
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now for dumb people just look at me... I enjoy hot coals falling on my bare feet
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

meat side up is how i do it,and save your wood for when it's unfoiled cause all that there getting foiled is the heat. the smoke will surround the meat with the meat side up, ain't no dumb questions that's how ya learn my friend

I start meat up then flip at least once for a hour or so. I don't spritz so thats not a issue for me. And with the membrane removed even if you spritz the bone side it will work its way down.

I agree with the meat up everyone has stated....even Capt Dan
wink.gif

Remember you smoke rolls all around your meats so I would think it just would not matter if up or down really. Seems more juices would work thru the meat better with it up though.
I hold off on the wood (use chunks instead of chips by the way) while it is in the foil and use very little during the last stage.

There are no dumb questions, Bro. I tend to do the ribs meat side up.

Vlap,

Bro I been there with the hot coals...but the other lesson I have learned is when adding coals, a stainless steel watch is a no-no...LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky