2 barrels for mass?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simple

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I need two udss like I need another hole in my head. Previously I could make a case for having and using two, but those days are past.  One of the two I have has never run as it should.  It'll run all day and night at 350 or so, but much below that and it's a chore to keep it lit, let alone regulated.

Unless I'm doing  ribs or a small roast, I usually do overnighters starting in the early evening  My biggest issue is that my drums soak up the sun all day long and when the sun goes down, so do the internal drum temps.

I'm thinking of dismantling the drum that isn't working as it should, cut the bottom and top off, an inch or so from each end,  then use a cutoff wheel to slice it vertically. I'll drop it into my good drum where it should nestle right up against it, as the ribs are the same design and spacing. The chances of the input and thermometer holes matching up are a gazillion to one, since I just eyeball it when I drill them.  I'll have to redrill the internal drum for the intakes, but that should be a minor issue.  I figure the double thickness should give me more mass so the solar heat doesn't affect the internal temp as much, both summer and winter.

How about some thoughts on what I'm thinking of?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky