2 Bad probes on ironwood 650?!?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zschaef42

Original poster
Aug 1, 2020
Hey guys! I’m new here. I have a brand new Traeger Ironwood 650. Traeger has sent me 2 probes already and both are now reading “bad probe” on the control module. I called Traeger and told them about this, so they sent me a whole new control module. I just installed it and am still getting “bad probe” error. Each probe has only worked one time for doing a pork butt. I’ve tried the recalibrate, but that won’t work either. Has anyone had this issue before? Please and thanks!

Hi, while I don't have direct experience with your smoker, smoker probes are basically type K thermocouples. I'm assuming the probes unplug from the controller with a small plug where you can check probe continuity.

if you have a DMM (multi-meter) you could check the probes for continuity. If you place your meter in the ohms function you should read very little (if any) resistance across the two contacts of the probe. Compare the reading of shorting the two leads of your DMM with the reading across the probe itself; should be less than 1 ohm difference between the two readings. If your probe reads high resistance or open circuit, then you have a bad probe. If the probe reads good, then look at the controller.

A good test for the probe is also a ice water / boiling water comparison. Ice water will be 32 deg. F and boiling water will be 212 (there will be some offset for elevation). You can use this as an inexpensive, easily to produce at home reference to tell you if a temperature control is reading properly.

I would just stop using and invest in a good thermometer like ThermoWorks. I hated my traeger for all the problems I had with it.
I appreciate the feedback. Just pisses me off. I paid $1200 for that grill. U figure everything should work. I liked using the probe it came with cuz I could see everything from the Traeger app: grill temp/meat temp. I could even change the temp of the grill or shut it off. I do a lot of long smokes and usually leave the house for several hours. Traege said they are escalating it to headquarters to see what the deal is.

I appreciate the feedback. Just pisses me off. I paid $1200 for that grill. U figure everything should work. I liked using the probe it came with cuz I could see everything from the Traeger app: grill temp/meat temp. I could even change the temp of the grill or shut it off. I do a lot of long smokes and usually leave the house for several hours. Traege said they are escalating it to headquarters to see what the deal is.
I would see if you can return it and get your money back...you are into it for rectec RT700 money and would upgrade to that if you can.

Believe me I know your frustration. I went thru it with Traeger and GMG. I finally settled on Rec Tec and leaps and bounds better. I personally don’t use the probes to monitor even though I have a smoke and signals. I will use a thermopen which I recommend that everyone should have. I try to use color and feel method myself and only check temp on poultry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky