2 Bacon weaved meatloves on a WSM 22.5 (1st Cook)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Columbia Maryland
I decided to smoke some Meatloaf on my new WSM 22.5 this past weekend. Loaded up with Lump charcoal and fired it up to 250.

Meat Loaf was 3# of 80/20 2# of ground pork. 2 slices of bread in 1/2 cup buttermilk with 2 eggs cracked and stirred. 3/4 cups bread crumbs, 1.5 cups each of green peppers, celery, and onion. 4 coves of garlic minced. Made 2 bacon weaves on parchment paper to wrap with. Combined the meat mixture by hand gently, added the bread/buttermilk/egg mix. Loaded 2 Saran Wrapped bread pans with the meat mix and put in the freezer for 20 minutes. Placed bacon weaves in fridge for 20 minutes to firm up some. I used Harris Teeter store brand bacon, next time I'll use something better. Don't use thick cut, it will not cook as well. Thinner is better. Removed weaves and loaves from fridge and applied a light coating of BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's)to the weave to help adhere to the loaf. Placed meatloaf on the weave and rolled it up. Repeat for second loaf.

WSM temp was 270, ( a little high), Placed both loaves on, temp dropped to 190 degrees. After a few adjustments to the vents I locked in at 250. Put meat probe in one loaf, going to 165 internal temp.
3 hours later Thermo Pro alarm went off at 155 degrees. Checked my loaves and internal was 150-160 depending where I put my instant read pen. Painted both loaves with more Sweet Baby Ray's. Let them reach 165 removed and rested for 15 minutes.

Loaves held together great, bacon weave mostly cooked to crispy. Cut to 1/2 inch slices and served with green beans and taters.

Best Meatloaf I have ever eaten. Apologize for no pictures ( I'll do better in the future), but it was hectic once they came off the grate. WSM 22.5 got the wife's seal of approval, my mother in law (89 yrs old) said it was the best meatloaf she ever had. That made me very happy. Really like / love this cooker.

Sounds like a winner to me! Anything that has both the wife's and MIL's approval is golden!

Reactions: bakerman
This also sounds real good to me. I don't ever remember using the weave on a meatloaf. Hmmm I'll have to look into that.

Chris

Great list of ingredients and I like the idea of two small loaves instead of one big one.
I'm sure it turned out great. I love meatloaf smoked on the WSM. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky