1st Wagyu Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSchoolCav

Original poster
Apr 26, 2019
Hi All, 1st time poster -
I was shopping for a brisket to smoke at HEB (Texas grocery store) and saw they had 15 lb Wagyu brisket on sale for $4/lb instead of $5. I smoke 10 or so briskets each year and have gotten good enough to get requests from the neighbors - and there is plenty of easily accessible BBQ for sale in Austin. Not a brag, just pointing out that this is not my first rodeo. Note, I use a Primo XL and a Flame Boss to control temp, etc.

Anyway, I snapped one up, trimmed it to about 12.5 lbs, rubbed it last night with salt and black pepper (Texas), and put it on the smoker at 235 degrees at 7 AM today. Its just after 3 PM and the damn thing is at 190 degrees. There was no stall whatsoever. I would have assumed that 12.5 lbs meant 18-19 hours on the smoker. I'd be surprised if we go 12.

I guess I can just wait, probe for tenderness around 203 - 205 and see how it comes out - I'm just a little freaked out by the short time on the smoker. Is this normal? Have I just thrown away $60?

Why would you feel you’ve wrecked it? It has more interstitial fat than you may be used to, but probe tender is probe tender.

Around here, prime costs less than choice or select packer brisket-wise, and it is not at all uncommon to have a fairly well marbled one be done at 195.

Pull it when it feels done (and for God’s sake, post pictures)

every piece of meat is different. That's why you cook to temp and not by time. Looking forward to seeing the results.

every piece of meat is different. That's why you cook to temp and not by time. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.

Hi All, 1st time poster -
I was shopping for a brisket to smoke at HEB (Texas grocery store) and saw they had 15 lb Wagyu brisket on sale for $4/lb instead of $5. I smoke 10 or so briskets each year and have gotten good enough to get requests from the neighbors - and there is plenty of easily accessible BBQ for sale in Austin. Not a brag, just pointing out that this is not my first rodeo. Note, I use a Primo XL and a Flame Boss to control temp, etc.

Anyway, I snapped one up, trimmed it to about 12.5 lbs, rubbed it last night with salt and black pepper (Texas), and put it on the smoker at 235 degrees at 7 AM today. Its just after 3 PM and the damn thing is at 190 degrees. There was no stall whatsoever. I would have assumed that 12.5 lbs meant 18-19 hours on the smoker. I'd be surprised if we go 12.

I guess I can just wait, probe for tenderness around 203 - 205 and see how it comes out - I'm just a little freaked out by the short time on the smoker. Is this normal? Have I just thrown away $60?

Don't be surprised wagyu finishes at a lower temp, 193-195
They seem to get probe tender faster.

Sam’s and Costco (around here) price prime packers at $2.3-4 (way less than choice trimmed flats.)

Select (Gordon foods) or choice whole briskets (from a butcher friend) are comparable, ($3.25-3.99)

It doesn’t take much to make you suck at the teat of big {sister} to get what you need for a reasonable price..

I have NEVER had any paying diner bitch about one of my prime briskets, (And I have NEVER “pulled” one of my ‘mistakes’ ”)
They pay for brisket, they get world-class sliced meat...

Last edited:
No pics yet, but she's was probe-tender and came off. Sadly, it was intended for a brunch tomorrow morning for Passover. The shorter smoke time means it will be in the cooler for 12 hours or so and then re-heated. Maybe this is similar to Franklin BBQ's warming cabinets? In any case, I did trim a bit of the flat a few minutes ago and all is well. It doesn't seem to be superior to a standard quality cut, just faster. Might be worth the extra $$ to be able to smoke a brisket in 9 - 10 hours, especially for dinner...

Also, worst case, she'd have been made into breakfast tacos - no one was throwing the meat away, just worried about a bad investment.

My experience (and confirmed by a recent brisket case study on here) you can take a cheaper piece of meat and make it Taste just as good as an expensive piece if both are cooked low and slow.

I used to only buy Berkshire pork (double the price) for pulled pork/ whole hog roast, not enough of a difference for the average diner to tell, a trained pro can but how many of them do we cook for?

My experience (and confirmed by a recent brisket case study on here) you can take a cheaper piece of meat and make it Taste just as good as an expensive piece if both are cooked low and slow.

I used to only buy Berkshire pork (double the price) for pulled pork/ whole hog roast, not enough of a difference for the average diner to tell, a trained pro can but how many of them do we cook for?
It could be but I'm not a low and slow guy.
Usually do brisket 275-300

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky