• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st try at bacon

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Looks way too small! Joking aside a little more information would be helpful. Method of cure/time recipe used. Looks can be deceiving

cooter79

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 9, 2020
I used this recipe.

Maple Bacon Cure (per pound of pork belly)
1 Tbsp Morton’s Tender Quick
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cracked black pepper
Been in the fridge in plastic bags for 11 days. I just rinsed and I slice a section of and it is a little too salty for my liking so I’m planning on soaking it for 30 to see if it gets better.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I used this recipe.

Maple Bacon Cure (per pound of pork belly)
1 Tbsp Morton’s Tender Quick
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cracked black pepper
Been in the fridge in plastic bags for 11 days. I just rinsed and I slice a section of and it is a little too salty for my liking so I’m planning on soaking it for 30 to see if it gets better.
What is the weight of your belly prior to curing?

cooter79

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 9, 2020
When I sliced them up for easier management when curing I had 5 pieces each weighing roughly 2.5lbs.

jcoleman66

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 3, 2020
Cure looks good. The fat on top should be fine. Nice looking bellies, where did you get them?

jcoleman66

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 3, 2020
Not weakness , you have the right priorities!!! Plus good belly is had to find. Gotta get a costco membership. If doing hot smoke should be done in a couple of hours

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
nice looking bacon! And good call on fry test, it's important to do at least until you find a recipe that you know is not too salty. Had you smoked it there is no way to fix it.

Ryan

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Hey Cooter, why not switch to cure#1 ??? You won't have the "too salty" problem...

cooter79

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 9, 2020
Hey Cooter, why not switch to cure#1 ??? You won't have the "too salty" problem...
I couldn't find any locally at the time I wanted to start this and got impatient and didn't want to wait for an order. I have learned my lesson for the next go around and will order some.

cooter79

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 9, 2020
Will a "normal" meat slicer slide back far enough to slice the belly or am I going to be hand slicing?

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
You already cut the belly down in length (multiple times) so why stop there?
Cut it in half width wise so it fits your slicer ... and often the skillet.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Will a "normal" meat slicer slide back far enough to slice the belly or am I going to be hand slicing?
Lots of folks cut the slabs to fit the slicer. Or you can fold the slab in half and slice away for long slices.

cooter79

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 9, 2020
Lots of folks cut the slabs to fit the slicer. Or you can fold the slab in half and slice away for long slices.
I did cut my slabs in half and borrowed a friend slicer and it work perfectly. I came out with 9 packages of 3/4lb nicely cut bacon and about a lb of mediocre looking bacon but still tasted great. I’ll definitely do again it will use pink cure 1 not tender quick.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I did cut my slabs in half and borrowed a friend slicer and it work perfectly. I came out with 9 packages of 3/4lb nicely cut bacon and about a lb of mediocre looking bacon but still tasted great. I’ll definitely do again it will use pink cure 1 not tender quick.
Sounds good. Use the EQ method. It balances salt and sugar to the weight of meat. Very repeatable and is adjustable to your taste. Once dialed in you are never over or under on salt or sugar.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Pink salt or cure #1 (sodium nitrite) is the best to use and most controllable for salt and sugar ratios in your cure.

jcoleman66

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 3, 2020
You could take the "mediocre" looking bacon and make bacon jam.. good stuff!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.