1st Time Smoking Complete - Need Advice on Tenderness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeromeking

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Batavia, IL
Hi all,

I have a Smoke Hollow vertical propane smoker, and did my first session on Saturday - Baby Back Ribs and Pork Shoulder.  I set the temperature to 250 degrees, and at 3.5 hours I checked the temperature of the meat and the shoulder was at 175 and ribs about 180.

Everything turned out good, except that the meat did not soften as I have seen in pulled pork or good ribs do before.  I had amazing smoke flavor too.  I did cover with foil after removing.

So my question is, did I not cook them long enough?  I thought since the meat temps were about 175 degrees, I had to pull them or it would over cook?  Can you cook beyond the target meat temperature without damagaing meat?

Is it possible my smoker was a lot hotter than 250, and the front mount temp gauge was wrong - So I cooked hotter and shorter than needed?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Best, Jerry King

A shoulder or butt should go to an IT (internal temp) of 190*-205* or when it gets tender. The best way to check tenderness is the toothpick test. Use a toothpick or clean probe and stick the meat in multiple places, when it slides in with no effort like going into warm butter it is done.
Ribs are a little tricky to get an accurate temp on because of the bones so a bend test works well. Using some tongs, pick up the slab at about 1/3 from one end and when they bend almost 90* with just a little cracking of the surface they should be ready.
A good tried and true and very popular way to cook ribs is the "3-2-1 method" which can be adjusted for your personal preference.

More than likely the stock therm on your smoker is not accurate, most people will use a digital therm to monitor smoker temps. Having known accurate therms really helps.

I see this is your first post here so when you get a minute would you swing by "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome, Thanks!

Baby back I usually 2 hours of smoke wrap for2 hours then 1 hour with sauce the shoulder could take a lot longer to cook to get to 200 degrees. I usually wrap with some apple juice half way through smoker temperatures at 250

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky