1st time NEED HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjlwiggy

Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
So I have a masterbuilt electric smoker- gonna smoke my first brisket tomorrow actually my first smoke ever. So couple of questions-
1) do I need to put anything under the rack of my brisket?
2) what temp should I keep smoker at through Cook?
3) I keep reading about foiling brisket last hour. What is this for?
4) and lastly is wrapping brisket in towels good to do? And for how long?

Happy Smoking - Tom

Welcome to the site Tom, lots of good info here.

I am sure you may have found more info in the search function in the upper right corner.

I have a different brand of electric smoker, but they are all similar.  The following is just my opinion and works for me.  After quite a bit of research here, you will find it to be pretty close to the basic normal methods most people use and a good starting point.  I like to keep it simple..

1) I put a shallow foil pan in the rack below my meat to catch the drippings.  A little water can make clean up a lot easier.  We do not have flames to get rid of our juices like the "real" fire guys have.

2) I smoke virtually everything with a 225' box temp.  Most everything I take to a 195-205 IT. Each piece of meat is different, I have a remote beeper alert me at 195, then start poking with an instant read to feel for doneness, anything pronged will work.  Frequently it needs more so I will take it up another 5' and ck again.  When it feels like butter through out, its done.  Most people start out under cooking and think they have dried it out, Wrong.  Better to over cook a little and have some slices and some "chopped" falling apart (a little overdone) until you get the feel.. Be sure to slice across the grain.  Easier to find the grain before smoking and make a little picture note.

3) Some people like to foil to keep the outside crust (bark) a little softer.. I only foil in cold winter when the humidity is very low and you can get a little more drying of the bark than you might want.  Some people foil at 160 or so to speed up the cooking process through the "stall" a little, but that softens the bark more than we like.  I start my smokes way early, better to be way early and reheat a little in the house than a little late with people waiting to eat.  Each piece of meat is different.  I did 2-12lb similar shaped briskets one time, alternated racks every 4 hours thinking that might keep them even.  They were 3 hours different at getting done.

4) Definitely wrap your brisket or pork butt in foil when you pull it and then "rest" it in a towel wrapped cooler no less than an hour, I usually try to go for two if I can stand to wait.  It lets the juices redistribute and even out.  I had to leave a 12lb pork butt in my cooler almost 5 hours one time (not on purpose)  It was still steaming hot when I pulled it.

Now, the biggest part is finding the rub mixture that fits your taste buds, which wood you like best, and if you like a finishing sauce on your Pork Butt.

Just have to keep testing.  Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I would foil the water pan and no water the brisket will stay moist on it,s own . My recipe is as follows

Cover Brisket in rub of choice

Smoke at 225 for 4hrs

Put in pan and add Beef Cosamine  soup or beef broth ,Foil pan and cook at 210 for 4hrs

Wrap Brisket in foil wrap in towels and toss into cooler for 2hrs

ENJOY !!!!

Took all of Driver advice.. went on smoker at 9:00am so far so good. Nice smoke blue'ish in color?!?!?!
Question though ******
Do I add wood chips every 45 minutes/ hour for entire smoke?

Thanks - Tom

Took all of Driver advice.. went on smoker at 9:00am so far so good. Nice smoke blue'ish in color?!?!?!
Question though ******
Do I add wood chips every 45 minutes/ hour for entire smoke?

Thanks - Tom

Driver has you going right.

Add chips as needed for the entire smoke, it'll be fine.

Bluish smoke is good, white and thick is bad.

Let us know how things go!

9hrs for my first brisket turned out perfect was gone before I could cut it!!! Thanks for everyone's help!! Smoking a small pork roast for family tomorrow so any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky