1st stick smoke question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Seeing this post about splits the size of a soda can (we call them pop cans) brought up a question. A neighbor cut down a cherry tree and gave me the wood, nice neighbor. After splitting the larger pieces there are still several branches that are about pop/soda can size in diameter. Is it necessary to split branches that size to season or is leaving them as-is OK? i cut the branches to about a foot long to fit in my FB.
Thanks
You can leave as is in my opinion,but if you have a lot of split wood just put it aside a little longer and use the split wood first.Split wood drys out quicker.It is more or less your choice, there is no right or wrong way really.When I take a tree down I save every thing down to about 1/2 or 3/4 inch,it works great for kindling.

I'll take anything that will fit in my box. I drive around the addition after a storm to see if any of the neighbors have a Maple limb down...

I'll take anything that will fit in my box. I drive around the addition after a storm to see if any of the neighbors have a Maple limb down...

There are a lot of pecan trees around here that will 'self prune'. Folks are happy to get the limbs out of the way and I'm happy to help them.

Just a follow up on my original post. I was still having excessive white smoke issues so I re-read this entire thread, Hallaluia, or however it's spelled, there were some tip brought up that I tried and the 'we've elected a new Pope' smoke, I think, has been eliminated.
There's still one 'issue' I'm trying to work through and if I can't seem to whip it I'll be picking your brains.
Thanks for everyone's help with the excessive smoke problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky