• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st smoker build

fishslayer

Joined Nov 13, 2013
eI have an old propane tank that I am going to build a side box smoker with. The tank is 15 in. in diameter and 38 in long. It is about the right size for me as I am just cooking for my family mostly. I have been on the pit caculator and have all the specs for the build. The two questions I have right now are this, is the diameter of the tank big enough for a reverse flow cooker(the one I would prefer to build) or would I have to build a conventional side fire box with tuning plates?? The other ? is how do I get the shape figured out for the FB CC opening? I am a few months away from starting this build as I have a few other projects to get done first. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row and all my material on hand before I start. I am also scavenging alot of the material so it takes a little doing on that end. Thanks for the advice you can give me.

eman

Rest in peace. Lost but not forgotten!!
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Sounds a bit small for an RF smoker. BUT , i am not a builder so just MHO.

As for the opening ,if it is dome ended tank, the opening shape should be the same no matter what size tank.

I believe the calculator shows the cut out.

fishslayer

Joined Nov 13, 2013
That was what I was thinking also. No big deal going with the tuning plates,just take a little longer to fine tune I guess. thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.