1st serious wing attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
With all the shutdown crap in my state, I want to master my own wings the way I like. We picked up a bag of wings on the super cheap and today I gave it a go. Smoked the wings with a mix of apple and hickory on the WSM, no seasoning.

After approximately two hours, the few wings I checked were reading 165-170. I moved the wings on to the gas grill to try to crisp up the skin. I had them on only a few minutes before my better half tossed them in her own Buffalo sauce concoction. The first shot is the wings pre-sauced and the second shot is post-sauce. The dressing is an Italian dressing replica my wife has been experimenting with to replicate one of our favorite restaurants.
A038C7C0-8CEF-4437-8C28-E422B6AA36BB.jpeg

FA916021-C6DD-4DAC-8000-95AB282B4F51.jpeg

The verdict: I was really happy with our combined effort but there is definitely room for improvement. I want to leave the wings on the grill a little longer to get even crispier skin. I’m thinking next time trying to baste the wings with buffalo sauce before removing them from the grill to get a little more crispy Buffalo flavor. We both love a crispy more on the dry-ish Buffalo flavor than the soaked-through-and-the-sauce-is-everywhere-but-in-your-mouth. Any suggestions/ideas are always appreciated. Thanks for looking!

looks great, I like my sauces on the side, being diabetic I don't use much most of the time but there is some good sugar free if ya like a lot of it.

Haven't tried this yet but looks interesting.

I would imagine running them at 250 on the smoker for 1.5-2 hours and then 10-15 min on the grill would be great. I love my wings crispy as well.

I'd consider using a bit of baking powder on the wings. It helps to produce crispy skin.

Looks good. Personally wings are one of the things I don't do the low temp smoke on. They go on the pellet grill but its a hot and fast cook. Did some last night actually. Around 400+ degrees the whole time and it takes all of 30-40mins. For fast hot cooks like that if I feel I need more smoke I'll throw a smoke tube in there but usually don't with wings. Last night was Baja wings. Just packets of the Mccormick Baja Citrus marinade mix seasoning on the wings before they went in the smoker. The only other way I do them is a light dusting of salt and garlic powders, then cook, then toss in a bowl with some melted butter and Frank's wing sauce. I say next time try cooking them at higher temp for less time and see if you like better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky