1st run of AMNPS in Pit-Boss 820 Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BirdDawg

Original poster
May 14, 2019
Tonight I cooked 4 chicken quarters in my PB and used a AMNTS for the 1st time.
I set the tube in the rear and elevated the open end with a coat hanger. I wanted to keep the tube away from the PB temperature probe and out of the way.
I filled the tube completely with Pit Boss brand Apple pellets and lit the open end with my Bernzomatic torch. After allowing pellets to flame for @5minutes I blew flameout and started the PB, set for 300. The tube and pellets kept going the entire cook. I was worried the PB fan would create to much air movement and make the pellets flame up but it did not. After 2 hours the chicken was golden brown and spent the next hour getting a mop of Kickin Bourbon BBQ sauce till I pulled them off.
The combination of Apple pellets in the tube and running Lumber Jack MHC competition blend in PB was really good. Over a 3 hour time frame the tube burned @2/3rds of the pellets.

All in all it was easy and I call it a success!

20190516_175558.jpg
20190516_191638.jpg
20190516_192453.jpg

Hi there and welcome!

Great job on the chicken! For grins and giggles I would suggest switching the pellets. Burn the PitBoss pellets and use the Lumberjack in the AMNPST and see what flavors you get :emoji_sunglasses:
I wouldn't be surprised if you find better flavor and the cook to be more economical since PitBoss pellets are so much cheaper and more readily available then Lumberjack. It could lean to a win-win combination for you.

Reactions: BirdDawg
Looks great,when you lay the tube down any you will get shorter burn times, I take a grate out and lean the tube as straight up as I can if I'm doing a long smoke sometimes, it smokes less but lasts longer and I cant decide which way works best or if it makes any difference lol

Reactions: BirdDawg
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky