1st Pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cheech,

Unfortunately, with Christmas almost upon us, I don't have time to get into a long dissertation on the aspects of Smoking a shoulder. However, there are several members on board that I have taught and they may pass it on to you. If not, then I will try to make the time on Monday for you, OK?

Good Luck, my friend!

Jeff

Oh I understand,

I thought if someone had a post somewhere, a .pdf of a good recipe or some good ideas that would be great.

I wish I would be but I will not be smoking it until after Christmas. (It is currently in the freezer and still needs to thaw out.)

FYI - I also work for an electrical contractor, (in fact we have a sister company in Sarasota- also an electrical contractor)

Cheech smoking a shoulder (Boston Butt) is one of the easiest pieces of meat to cook. It is marbled with fat and very forgiving. The toughest part about cooking one is the amount of time it takes to finish.
wink.gif

I slather with a thin layer of yellow mustard and coat with a thick layer of dry rub. Then place it in the smoke at 225* and let it cook for 12 to 20 hours (yes time can vary greatly) until the internal temperature reaches 195-205*. The bone will pull out clean when it is ready.

Remove from the smoker and let it rest 30 minutes to an hour the pull into shreds.

Some variations:

I've heard of brining and injecting pork shoulder (but haven't tried it).

I once butterfied the butt and removed the bone to expose more meat to smoke and spice for increase bark-to-meat ration (turned out good).

You can apply the first coat of rub the night before and for a really thick crust, reapply more rub just before smoking.

You can baste every hour or not, a butt will keep its self pretty moist on its own.

Some folks wrap them in foil when they get to 170* (like I do a brisket) but I haven't tried this.

Some wrap in foil after removing from the smoker and let it rest in a cooler for a couple hours. This works well for transporting to the in-laws too.

Have fun and good luck! :D

Bob thanks for the insight. I was not going to smoke it until after the 1st but the more I dream about a nice smoked shoulder the worst I want to have it.

Thanks for your input.

Do you inject it at all?

Just asking Mike Mills had it in one of his books to inject it with a apple juice mixture.

I will do with out and see what it does. This just gives me a reason to make an other one.

Boy am I getting hungry

try this one i think it is Chris Lilly and Jim Minions recipe::

1 1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup rub
4 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

Inject till it is full.

Thanks crazyhorse I will give this a try. Looks good enough to use on a turkey too, which I hope to do this weekend. Do you think that will work?

That's great Cheech! Nice to know a fellow Tradesman!

BTW, If that was your 1st Boston Butt that you shared photos with us of.......You get a Gold Star!!! Nice job of "Pulling", as well - Try using a "Finishing Sauce" with it next time.

Jeff

Cheech,

The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

In Fact, I believe I'll copy this and make a direct post in the Pork section for everyone else who's not aware of it.

Jeff

Thanks SoFlaQuer

I am getting excited about doing an other batch this weekend.

I thought I was going to try something else (I have a bunch of venison that needs to be made into salami but that will have to wait)

I am becoming addicted to making pulled pork, by this summer I should have it down pat and be able to put together quite a nice "Q" party. (I also make homebrew and the two go nice together)

SoFlaQuer,

I tried this finishing sauce thniking it may be ok but now that I have tried it I am amazed at how much of a difference it makes.

The guys at the office are marveled at my newly discovered skills.

I have moved up to king status with many of them.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Gee Jeff, what a great sounding recipe, parts of it seem a little familiar!! I'll have to try it and see if its as good as I remember.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky