1st pork belly and burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
Had a turkey breast I wanted to smoke, and some pork belly we picked up on clearance(each about 1-1.5 lbs), so everything was smoked. The turkey was done with the rub I posted summer 2021, I think, with some apple wood in the WSM. About 5 hours in, it was ready and delicious.

926EA0C1-BACC-42D0-B9E0-4A533008C51E.jpeg

Now on to the focus: the pork belly. I’ve never done pork belly before. One piece I let cook to around 190, let it rest, and then sliced it for sandwiches and maybe tacos later this week.

E3E6C09C-2520-45C3-943A-C40E24764240.jpeg

There was definitely more than this but I got ahead of myself packing it away before realizing I wanted a pic.

The second piece was taken off around 155 and then cubed and seasoned with some Barnyard dust. I know a lot of recipes say to cube prior to smoking but I was doing about 20 other things and this was when I had a chance to cube it. The cubes went back on until around 180, and then I covered them in a mix of butter,Sweet Baby Rays, and some honey until they reached 190.

Now I know what everyone raves about when it comes to burnt ends. These things are awesome and go down way too easy! I told my wife we’re going to need to pick up more pork belly. I think I’ll need to step up to a full size belly😁

66C6D329-2E5C-4D41-AAB6-813B255DCDAD.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

I did my first run of pork belly burnt ends a couple of weeks ago. Family raved over them. All of your cook looks excellent!
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky